Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 235/135/130 Female 63 inches
BF:27
Progress: 95%
Default Hello! New here...

I wish I would have found this forum earlier! I no longer have triple digits to lose, but am looking for some comraderie from others who have been in my shoes (more than 100 lbs to lose).

I am nearly 6 months post gastric bypass surgery and have been living the LC life since then. I'm 5'2 1/2 and started out 235 lbs and a size 22. I also sufferred from high blood pressure, GERD (was on meds for both) as well as severe sleep apnea (used a c-pap machine). Currently I am down to 155 lbs and a size 12, and all my health issues have been resolved - no more meds or machines! I still would like to lose another 20-30 lbs.

I'm currently doing a modifed Atkins-type plan. I do fairly low carbs, moderate fat, and high protein. Becasue of the gastric bypass, I have to watch the fats, too, because I can become physically ill if I eat too many at once. Typically, I try to stay under 50 grams of carbs per day and find that I remain in ketosis when I do.

Although I have the benefit of being physically restricted in the amount I can eat, I face the same challenges as most of you. I thought I would die from starvation the first few days of LC'ing! But once I kind of 'detoxed' from carbs, it got easier and easier. I find that if I slip and eat too many carbs, I feel sooo hungry the next day and they only way to get the hunger under control is to jump back on the protein train.

I've turned into somewhat of a gym junkie! I do weight training 3 days per week for 30 minutes. I do cardio 4-5 days per week for 30-45 minutes (mostly on the elliptical machine), plus I run for 30 minutes 3-4 days per week. I guess I traded my addiction for food for an addition to exercise!

Best wishes to all in your continued quest for a healthier you!

Barb in Seattle

Last edited by just4fun : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 12:43.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 15:16

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Welcome to the TDC Barb. And congratulations on your weight loss. I bet it feels good to have lost so much. It's great that you no longer have to take any meds! This is such a great way of life. Good luck in your continued weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 16:37
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Welcome Barb. I'm glad for you and your newfound success. My mother had the surgery a few years ago and she is a new person. She loves it. She is active now where before it was a chore for her to walk. Now she goes line dancing everyday as well as swimming.

A funny thing happened the other week. My mom called for my birthday. She asked how my WOE was going. I told her all of the positive aspects I was experiencing. I also told her this was a long term change for my eating. Then she says to me, I'm on Atkins too. I think to myself, wait a minute! You had surgery, why would you need to be on the Atkins WOL. But I realized that even after the surgery she still needed to address her food issues.

Good luck and welcome!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:06
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

Congratulations on the weight loss so far. And I'm really impressed with the exercise - I bet you feel great.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: My own custom blend
Stats: 275/254/125 Female 5'2
BF:Plenty, want some?
Progress: 14%

Welcome to the TDC Barb, from another relative newbie. Congratualtions on your successful surgery and weight loss as well. And wow, I am so impressed with your exercise efforts! Talk about turning your life around - you're a great inspiration there. If that's an addiction, it's definitely a much healthier one for you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:07
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome to the TDC Barb. It's nice to see someone have weight loss surgery and have a positive outcome. While I hope I have solved my weight problems with Atkins and will never need the surgery, in the back of my mind it is always a threat.

Even if the surgery makes you eat less, I know that it doesn't make you do all that exercise and the exercise has certainly made you healthier. I admire your dedication to keeping up that routine.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 12:13
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Oh yea, now I remember why my mom said she was on Atkins. She started gaining weight back so had to find a WOE she could live with!