Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 06:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/170/145 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Helppppppppppp

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=2]

I could really do with some advice. I have been doing atkins for 3 weeks now. I lost 5lb in the first 5 days and nothing since. In fact some days I go up a pound, but the odd thing is I am checking my urine every day and am consistently in keytosis. How can I be in keytosis but not lose weight.
If I was not in keytosis I would have given up by now, but it's the only thing that keeps me going.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Morticia.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 06:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can be in ketosis and not losing weight if you are eating good amounts of fat and testing anytime other then morning. Then the sticks are showing diatary fat being burned, not yours. Or you are in ketosis, but eating enough calories your body doesn't need to use any of it's stores.

It is also normal after a good loss for the body to have a small plateau where it rests. Normally people only lose 10% of what they need to on induction, and you're already ahead of that number.

What you might want to do though is get an account at www.fitday.com and look at what your eating. Alot of things have hidden carbs, or just carbs you are unaware of, such as eggs, coffee, cream, and so on.

Posting typical daily menus here will also let people give you better advice if there is any food that is bothering you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 09:14

Stats: 175/170/145 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress:

Ladybelle
Does that mean that my carb count is fine, just that I'm maybe eating too many calories?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 09:21

Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

without seeing your menu we cant tell you either. Could be either one or a natural platau
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

You could also be losing inches instead of pounds. Taking your measurements is another way of gauging and tracking your success! Hang in there!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:03
Nequaquam Vacuum!

Plan: The Zone, Fat Flush
Stats: 178.5/147.5/147.7 Female 64 inches
BF:more than enough
Progress: 101%

Morticia,
I'm going through the exact same thing. Nice listees came to my journal and gave me some good advice, you can check it out if you click on the link for "Jasmine's Journal" at the bottom of the page.
But, from what I've been reading, week three tends to be a slow week for a lot of people. After that your body seems to get a handle on the new WOE and the weight loss resumes. This week would be a good week for the "tight clothes" test, though, to see if you've lost inches.
I would also start a journal here, you can write down you menus and listees can come and help you out with it.
--jasmine
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Good advice here, however, Bottom Line..................... do not expect to lose each and everyweek, it just does'nt work that way for very many people
Check out my records below, sure I got fustrated and wondered what the hell was going on, but hey, look at me now below goal

Stick to the plan, it'll come just fine
Cheers Kathy
[SIZE=3]B/A pics post #406 my journal[SIZE=3]