Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 05:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Itchy skin.....

I started exfoliating and moisturizing my skin everyday and it seems to itch like heck. Could that be my skin shrinking back to its original state?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 05:40

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

Hi jaybee

I used to work as a beauty therapist and do not advise exfoliating daily (unless the exfoliant is very, very mild!). I think you should try exfoliating about twice or three times a week, but continue with the moisturising and see if the itching stops. I don't think the skin shrinking back should cause you so much discomfort! Anyway, hope you feel better soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 06:25

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

I think that you are doing something to irritate your skin and probably drying it out too much. Keep the moisturiser going. The fat in your diet should help you have a better skin structure, however the skin shrinkage will happen so slowly that you certainly will not feel it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:38

Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks for your responses ladies. I think that I may have expressed myself wrong here...lol...I simply use a light pumice glove and rub it lightly over my entire body right before my shower. There`s no exfoliating scrub that goes with it or anything. I`m just trying to get rid of old skin cells and I do go very lightly. I had paid to get cellulite treatments done once and she told me to do that to my skin once a day before my shower to keep the blood flowing to those parts. Thanks again...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:45
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Hi,

Do you take any flaxseed oil? I live in a VERY dry climate (EXCRCIATINGLY dry!!) and I have found that I need MUCH less moisturizer since I've been on this WOE -- I think because I'm eating a lot more fat, but I also take 1000mg (in a gelcap) of flaxseed oil twice a day. I started taking it to keep me "regular," so the skin moisturizing is a side benefit.

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:46

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

jaybee, that sounds similar to that "dry brushing" thing everyone was talking about... I can't see that causing a problem. Hmmm.. maybe you have a mild allergy to the moisterizer you are using. Maybe try a "natural" one (try the health food store?)... and keep up the GREAT work!!!!

Blessings!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 09:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

What helps me is when I'm finished in the shower I put baby oil in my bath puff and buff it on -- then pat dry -- I've been itchier also lately and this helps me.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 11:08

Stats: 260/211/180 Male 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I recall somewhere someone mentioning that doing this WOE can make ur skin more itchy and that u need to take multivitamins to counter it? Is that right?