Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:15
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default This will really make you sick!

I got my new 'First" magazine today and I was excited because on the cover was "Addicted to Carbs" - Identify the hunger-triggering foods". I thought, Wow! Flipped to page 32. Guess what I saw? Candy! It actually lists what kinds of CANDY are good carbs for a craving! Treats that you can eat on this latest miracle diet, they say is based on the South Beach Diet. What crap! The next page explains this diet (TOTAL RIPOFF OF ATKINS) and mentions that for 2 weeks for Phase 1. You should skip most carbs, even fruits (induction, Atkins Rip-off). Then, Phase 2. Add in good carbs (fruit, whole grains - Rip off again), by the end of Phase 3. (This is a quote) "Continue your healthy-eating plan, but DON'T DENY YOURSELF YOUR FAVORITE FOODS." I am sooooo mad. What a load of crap! Can you just imagine going back to "your favorite foods" and maintaining your weight? Well, if your favorite foods are LC I guess so, but for me (Doritos, brownies, pasta alfredo) not gonna happen. Does anyone know if this is a misrepresentation of the South Beach Diet of the worse kind? Are they picking and choosing here from that book? If not, no wonder they sold so many books. Whew! I wish it was cold enough to build a fire, I have a nice piece of kindling.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:50
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

i dont really know much about SouthBeach..but i was reading a summary of it...i was actually considering doing somthing similar to south beach..but i realized that if i'm allowed to add in my fav foods..i'll fall off again..hell..i tried to add bread in last week..and now i'm having a really hard time trying to get back on this woe...i think i'm just gonna stick to a lc plan similar to atkins..it makes mroe sense, and i don't have to research it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 07:12

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

South Beach states in the book - Chapter 1, I think - that it is NOT a low carb diet.

That said, the Atkins Diet has gone from being completely trashed and condemned to being stolen and presented as something new with adaptations: Protein Power, CAD etc. And now even not-low-carb plans are using it to start. I just wish Dr. A. had lived to read all the studies that are proving him right after all.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 07:14

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

South Beach states in the book - Chapter 1, I think - that it is NOT a low carb diet.

That said, the Atkins Diet has gone from being completely trashed and condemned, to taking his ideas and research and presenting it as "something new with adaptations". Protein Power, CAD and others are ones who I see as having arisen from Atkins. And now even not-low-carb plans are using it to start. I just wish Dr. A. had lived to read all the studies that are proving him right after all.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 08:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

My favorite foods eh? I'm with Dstar, they would fall under the Doritoe categorie along with popcorn. I've just decided my favorite foods are no longer my favorite.

I sing a chant thru the house similar to bottles of beer on the wall........

Take one pound flush down...........so many more pound left on the a~~. (well not quite the same, lol)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 11:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I personally don't think CAD et al are all derived from or "ripped off" from Atkins. Having read CAD, I can see how it evolved, and it has an entirely different genisis, has entirely different practices built on the same type of findings from different research... in a nutshell, two paths to the same result.

There is a low-carb bandwagon that IS being exploited by many. Atkins works for me, but I've had to get over the mindset of thinking that Atkins is the ONLY way.