Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%
Red face Atkins diet bad for your health (Yeah, right!)

Here is the ridiculous website I was just on. AtkinsDietAlert.org
Well guys, mark my words. I WILL find proof that the Atkins diet is harmful to your health. I have been looking for proof of this for around a year now and can't find any.
In the meantime, I will stay on the diet and continue to lose weight, feel better, and have normal diabetic blood sugars.
I was on the Atkins diet years ago and had tests done 1 month after being on it. The doctor couldn't believe they were my tests! Everything had improved HbA1c, LDL and HDL.
The site I indicated above was saying that "Studies show.....blah blah blah........Atkins can lead to heart disease, colon cancer, etc."
Ok, I will believe it if I see some numbers and tests done by a dr. with a dr's signature. But there will NOT be any!
That website is like saying, "No, honest everyone. The Atkins diet is bad for you. Yeah, that's it-bad for you. You can believe us. Um, yeah, we did tests at these prestigious universites and they prove it. No, we can't give you the actual results; just take our word for it. Come on, we're not just saying that. It's like you are implying that we want people to be overweight so we can make money which, I assure you is not true."
I can really be sarcastic sometimes, huh?

If anyone finds any real proof anywhere, please post it or email me.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

This site (Atkinsdietalert) is run by PCRM which is heavily funded by PETA. Nuff said?

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Sep-13-03 at 19:04.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 12:03

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

LisaN - how direct and to the point. Don't swallow ANYTHING PETA puts out. PETA hides their real goals very well in smoke and shadows. They don't want ethical treatment of animals - they just plain don't want any animals. Period. Caput - that's it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

just of curiousity, how do you know its founded by PETA?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Last edited by cc48510 : Sun, Sep-14-03 at 15:44.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:49

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

Ok thanks...

I couldnt make the connection, before your links...

PCRM... what a joke... I am still in medschool, and the first day they drill, "Do no harm..." in your head. Apparently PCRM sounds like a "professionals" more interested in gaining a buck, (dare I say, sell out,) then people/patients overall and longterm health goals.

Thanks Again cc48510,
korry
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 15:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by korry1977
just of curiousity, how do you know its founded by PETA?

Not founded by, but heavily funded by. PCRM also makes no effort to hide that it promotes a vegan lifestyle and is anti-meat eating.
It's also interesting to note that only about 5% of PCRM's members are actually physicians. That's like having a committee with 20 members, one of whom is a physician, and calling it a "physician's committee".
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 17:38
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
This site (Atkinsdietalert) is run by PCRM which is heavily funded by PETA. Nuff said?

http://www.pcrm.org/

Their top issues include:

- Anti-atkins. Apparently, the life of a cow is more important than improved quality of life for millions of morbidly obese people.
- Anti "cancer causing" foods (and a picture of red meat is shown). They claim meat consumption has been "proven" to cause cancer. Funny, I bet they have nothing bad to say about soy, or tofu right?
- Anti-dissection and anti-dog labs. What does the (quality of) life of an animal have to do with human health?

I wouldnt worry too much about atkinsdietalert. Seems like it is just a public friendly front for extremist veganism.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 18:01
Registered Member

BF:

I am sorry to whoever might be offended, but I think the veganism movement is propelled mostly by irrational extremists. Not individual vegans themselves, but as a movement it is mostly founded by people with this militant approach, bent on forcing their speculative morality on others.

First, it is based on outright lies (re: meat causes cancer) or bad science (predominantly meat-eating is the natural diet of homo sapiens, despite endless claims to the contrary from the vegan camp, based on irrelevant dietary evidence from our very early ancestors). Since humans are omnivores with a definite slant towards meat consumption, most totally vegan diets are deficient in many nutrients, especially protein. Protein is easily the most important macronutrient (protein = building blocks). Plus, these people are not only trying to push veganism on adults but also on growing children, in whom nutrient deficiencies are life altering. How anyone can call supporting a lifestyle which is chronically deficient in essential nutrients "responsible medicine", is ludicrous. It is impossible for an entire nation to safely adopt a vegan lifestyle. Because of how unbalanced it is, it requires careful supervision to maintain. Yet they have the nerve to consider themselves practitioners of "responsible medicine".
They have the gall to attack atkins for being unbalanced. What a laugh. Atkins is "unbalanced" for two whole weeks (and during these two weeks still more complete than any unsupplemented vegan diet, might it add), after which point it is more than adequate in regards to vitamin intake.

If an adult chooses they want to become vegan, that is their choice. I don't approve, but they are free to live their life and I have no problem with that. It is force feeding people propaganda and lies in a cowardly (or insane) attempt to scare them into veganism that I have a problem with. I have a problem with this because it is we who ultimately pay the price. I am not going to be obese (or starving) on a diet of almost pure carbohydrate, and am disgusted that they are trying to push people in that direction.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 18:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff
LisaN - how direct and to the point. Don't swallow ANYTHING PETA puts out. PETA hides their real goals very well in smoke and shadows. They don't want ethical treatment of animals - they just plain don't want any animals. Period. Caput - that's it.

I would be very interested in hearing/seeing evidence as to how you came up with this conclusion. I love scandal .
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 18:49

BF:

This is a sensitive topic with potential for some hurt feelings and offense on both sides of the fence. I personally have no problems with someone who is a vegan or vegetarian for whatever reasons that they may have. If you don't want to eat animals because you feel it is unethical or unhealthy, by all means follow your conscience. BUT...(and this is a BIG but...no pun intended), I have a serious problem when someone wants to force me to adopt their code of ethics or morals and will use emotional blackmail, outright lies, threats and violence to achieve that (PCRM, PETA and ALF's tactics).
Most (not all) of the arguments that I have run into in favor of not eating animals are based more on emotion than they are on sound science.
I'd say that the world needs both vegetarians and meat eaters. If we all ate nothing but animal protein, there would soon be a serious shortage. The same goes for getting all of our food from plant sources. Some people seem to do better on a diet that is heavier on carbs, while others thrive on a diet that is very low in carbs...we are all unique in that respect and one person should not assume or try to force another to adopt their way of eating because it works for them.
Low carb may be heavy on the animal proteins, but it does not completely exclude plant foods, either, nor does it require that you eat meat (low carb is possible, if not more difficult and perhaps a bit more monotonous, as a lacto-ovo vegetarian). The evidence that we are by nature omnivores (not strictly vegetarian or carnivore but needing both sources of nutrition) is heavily on the side of non-vegans. Because of that, anyone who is following a low carb lifestyle correctly should not have any trouble meeting all of their nutritional needs. The same cannot be said for a vegetarian lifestyle without serious knowledge and planning of meals. Getting sufficient protein and essential fats becomes much more difficult without animal sources or some serious supplementation.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:36

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Wooo - to answer your question:

A PETA spokesperson was interviewed on a national TV show within the past couple of years. One of the questions asked had to do with PETA's vision of a perfect world for cats and dogs. The answer "In a perfect world there would be no cats and dogs." That much even I can remember because up until that point, I made donations to PETA and I was totally appalled by that statement. I'm not much of a TV watcher and don't really have a good memory for names, but I am a member of a couple of highly reputable dog organizations and we are ALL appalled at most of PETA's highjinks. They put on a good show (and pay big bucks) to get celebrity endorsements to get the high profile they need to get public donations, but they don't make full disclosures into their activities. None of their printed or website published material will show you what they really do. You only find out about it by accident - like the spokesperson slipping up in a very public interview.

Am I prejudiced against PETA? You bet. No one has the right to tell me I can't own a companion animal or that he is treated unkindly.

Last edited by shortstuff : Mon, Sep-22-03 at 14:38.