Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:41

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 244/231/174 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:
Default MC Donalds Beef Burgers Can I eat them???

Hiya

I would love a Mc Donalds beef burger

So I just been to there website and it says the following about their burgers

'Our hamburgers are made from 100% beef and nothing else. No additives, no fillers, no binders and no preservatives. So next time you bite into one of our hamburgers you’ll know exactly what you’re eating and, more importantly, what you’re not.'

So obviously without the Bap I can eat the meat cant I if I order a PLAIN HAMBURGER

????

Last edited by Caine21 : Sat, Sep-13-03 at 09:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:19

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Caine,

First off congrats on your success, looks like you are loosing nicely! Some people will suggest that mcdonalds or other fast food isn't good on atkins. There may be some truth in that. It would of course be better to make a hamburger at home on the barbeque with some low carb steak sauce, rather than eat mcdonalds. Trust me, mcdonalds burgers taste as good as they are for a reason. It's the oils they cook them in.

But anyways, I personally eat mcdonalds occasionally, maybe 4-5 times per month. Whenever I go there, I usually just get like 3 big extras and just get them without ketchup and tomato (be sure to lose the ketchup). Then I eat it without the bun, just slowly remove the bun as you eat it. I have found that the mayonaise they use (mc chicken sauce) is ok.

So to answer your question I think it is ok to eat there, just be careful. If you think sugar is addictive, mcdonalds can be even more addictive. For the first month of my diet, I went to A&W for breakfast, Wendys for lunch, and mcdonalds for dinner every day (literly). I was hooked and it was soooooo easy just to drive thru. Then i slapped myself and started cooking at home more and now I hardly eat out. 4-5 a month total, mostly mcdonalds. So be careful that you dont start eating at mcdonalds all the time, because the burgers have TONS of fat in them and the kind of fat mcdonalds has isn't good for anyone

Last edited by yuckycarbo : Sat, Sep-13-03 at 10:20.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 11:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

You should treat yourself to a nice big hamburger from a resturant or something. It will taste much better then Mcdonalds! But if you are in a hurry or really just miss one, I dont think it would kill you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

The beef in one McDonalds hamberger can originate from over a hundred different cows. Thats the scary truth. Its probably the worst out there. Fast food itself is one of the reasons why we are in trouble as an overweight nation. The special sauce in a big mac also has sugar in it. I would stay far away from the fast food habit. And forget that thin little pattie. Without the ketchup and salt it is tasteless to me! What I have found to be the best replacement for the burger lifestyle is getting my butcher to grind steak fresh, taking it home and making my own special sauce with atkins ketchup. Way better for you in the long run and gets you to break the habit of fast food. In a pinch if you are stuck with coworkers at a McDonalds I could see getting a burger and a salad.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:47
Registered Member

Stats: 226/196/140 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I eat at mcdonalds about once a week. Just ask for no bun and no ketchup. They even have a button on the register for no bun. I find this easier than trying to take the bun off, especially if there is cheese that can get stuck to the bun. They even include a fork and knife to eat it with.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:29

Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I never knew that. A no bun button. wow

Their patties are so thin, that I would rather make my own patty with some cheese and use a couple of big lettuce leaves as the buns. And dip it in mayo. yum
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 21:33

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

If I have to, I get the quarter pounder with cheese, no bun, no ketchup. it's ~ 1 carb. I've done it once in 4.5 months. I was in airports all that day.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 22:54

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

I can't eat take out burgers because I've been pretty much salt free for quite a while and they taste so salty. They actually burn the inside of my mouth and make me sooooo thristy! The next day I show a good 2-3lbs water weight gain.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 23:14

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Acqua, I with you. If you don't ask for it with no bun you loose your cheese because it gets stuck to it. The McDonalds people are very accommodating. I also find since it's special ordered it's really hot and fresh. I do prefer to eat at home burgers but I get pretty busy sometimes and find myself in a pinch. I also have kids so they beg me for McDonalds every so often. On average, I eat the double QP w/cheese no bun and no catsup about once per week.

I surely wouldn't make it an everyday kind of thing but if you REALLY want one every once and a while it should be fine as far as this WOE goes. As far as the quality of meat, etc. That's a whole different story! Yeah, it's bad for you but I look at it this way -- Before this WOE I was CONSTANTLY eating nasty things that were TERRIBLE for me. Having Mickey D's once a week now is a much better improvement over my old way of eating! To each his own I guess . . . .
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 23:24

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspine17
Acqua, I with you. If you don't ask for it with no bun you loose your cheese because it gets stuck to it. The McDonalds people are very accommodating. I also find since it's special ordered it's really hot and fresh. I do prefer to eat at home burgers but I get pretty busy sometimes and find myself in a pinch. I also have kids so they beg me for McDonalds every so often. On average, I eat the double QP w/cheese no bun and no catsup about once per week.

I surely wouldn't make it an everyday kind of thing but if you REALLY want one every once and a while it should be fine as far as this WOE goes. As far as the quality of meat, etc. That's a whole different story! Yeah, it's bad for you but I look at it this way -- Before this WOE I was CONSTANTLY eating nasty things that were TERRIBLE for me. Having Mickey D's once a week now is a much better improvement over my old way of eating! To each his own I guess . . . .

The sticking to the bun from the cheese thing is something I figured out how to get around after a couple of times. Just do this:

Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese
- Add Mayonaise
- Add Lettuce
- Remove Ketchup

With this, they will put the mayonaise on the very bottom bun (they always do) and the lettuce on the very top, so both stop the cheese from sticking to the bun. It works excellent. This "trick" also works for double cheeseburgers. Of course if anyone wants to skip all the mcdonalds fuss, just go to Wendy's and get 5 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers for $5.00. No need to order anything special with them, and the buns are much easier to remove than mcdonalds
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 23:40

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Maybe it's just a psychological thing for me but having that bun in my hand is just depressing! I feel like I'm throwing half my food away. And then thinking about all the carbs . . . I don't want them to even TOUCH my food (I sound like a little kid-- Aghhhh! My peas are touching my chicken! ). Also the MD's people tend to put all the cheese, pickles, onions and mustard in between the two meat patties which I've grown strangely partial to. Kinda like a surprise in the middle type of thing-- perhaps the LC equivalent of cream filling!?. But great idea about adding mayo and lettuce-- brilliant! I never would have thought of that!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 00:43

Stats: 186/169/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

The other day I had to grab some fast food and got a "Classic Double w/cheese" from Wendy's - it turned out to be by far the best and easiest fast food burger I've dealt with since starting to lowcarb. It came with the cheese in between the two (large!) patties, so after I removed the bun, I could eat the hamburger like a sort of reverse-sandwich, with the meat in this case acting as the "bun". Tasty and convenient.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 02:09

Stats: 150/140/127 Female 175
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Back in 72 when I first tried Dr. Atkins, I lived at macDonalds, I taught myself how to eat the meat pattie only without taking it apart in public. Yes they were 100% meat , probably still, just remember to order it plain with no condiments. Most mustards have sugar, maybe theirs don't. So go ahead and live a little
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 02:20

Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

Agamemnon, not to be picky, but most mustards do not have sugar; so eat away, but beware of honey mustard, of course.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 06:09

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

WOW! I just went to the MC Donalds site and just realized how many carbs were in a double cheese burger w/ no bun, 8 carbs! The ketchup has 3 carbs, the onions have 3 carbs, and the cheese and burger are left with 2 carbs! What do they do to their onions to make that little bit have 3 carbs???

Heather

Last edited by liddle : Sun, Sep-14-03 at 06:18.