Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%
Question The amazing human body...

Just when you thought you had things figured out our body's throw a curve ball. Take the Atkins diet, who would of thought that eating more fat and less carbs would make you thin. Who would have thought that in some certain circumstances eating more calories can cause you to lose weight.

Anyway, I have this obsession with seeing trends in data. One such trend I've been looking at is my weight loss and I've observed some strange things.

One strange thing (that others have observed as well) is that I tend to loose weight in bunches. For instance my week will go like this. There will be 6 days of no weight loss and then on day 7 I loose about 1.5 lbs. You would think that if I'm burning every day that I would lose about a half a pound every 2+ days.

The second strange I've noticed has to do with body fat loss. I have a scale that tells you your body fat so I've been adding that to the data. What I've observed is that on the 5th or 6th day of the typical week noted above I will see a % body fat loss but there won't be any weight loss. Then 1 or 2 days later the weight goes down around the same amount lost in body fat weight.

Here's an example in case I lost everyone.
170 23%
170 23%
170 22% Which comes to a loss of 1.5 lbs of fat, but I still weigh the same
169 22% Now I'm down in weight by 1 lb.

Thought some might find this interesting. Others don't really care.

Anyone have any ideas why the weight loss is so strange? Don't need to have this answered to lose weight, but I'm curious.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:20

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

The sudden weight loss is called a whoosh. It is the body suddenly letting go of water which it has been storing in now empty fat cells. This explains why you lose fat first then weight later.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%
Talking

Ahhh... and that explains the day after the body fat loss where I swear I'm peeing every half hour or so. LOL
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 15:36

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

very cool! I sure hope to lose more weight! I thought this would come along a bit faster but I have had some obstacles...lol besides hasnt been that long so I'll shut up! lol

You sure are doing well!