Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:01

Plan: Atkins 06/01/03
Stats: 205/202/135 Female 64 inches
BF:NA/41.7/25%
Progress: 4%
Default Does Atkins recommend Potassium supplements?

Hi!!
I have been having trouble since i started taking potassium supplements. I take just 2 a day and now have an extremely irritated/inflammed bladder. I drink more than 120 oz. water, no sodas and follow induction.

I had an appointment with my doc today. When I told my doc about it.. he praised me about starting Atkins.. but said why would I need potassium or any supplement other than the multivitamins and maybe calcium. btw, he diagnosed me with trigonitis. he has asked me to stop the supplements immediately.

I have read the book and don't recollect it saying anything about potassium. Please help!!!

Kranti
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:20

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default It depends....

I take lots of extra potassium but I'm outside regularly, in NC, and sweat. My food intake won't keep up with my sweat. I've never had a bladder problem from taking potassium.

It's not a required supplement on a daily basis; I let crampy twitchy legs tell me when I need it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I don't take Potassium Supplements and my Serum Potassium is within the normal range. I get plenty of Potassium from Meats and Fruits. Both are chock full of it. In fact, a serving of steak (juices thrown out) has as much Potassium as the uqiquitous Banana. If you keep the fatty juices and eat them with the meat, the Steak is richer in Potassium. Most fruits, including LC Ones, are high in Potassium also. There is no reason that anyone eating plenty of Meat should be short of Potassium. The only way I could see it as a problem is if you are doing Atkins as a Vegetarian. I believe Atkins recomended supplements out of an abundence of caution. Probably the same reason he includes B12 in his Multivitamin...while a serving of steak has 1/3 of your B12. BTW, the government definition of a "serving" of steak is very little. In fact, it's about half the size of the smallest steak I've ever seen, 1/3 of an average sirloin, and as little as 1/5 of a good-size T-Bone.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins 06/01/03
Stats: 205/202/135 Female 64 inches
BF:NA/41.7/25%
Progress: 4%

Thanks Guys,

Does that mean we don't have to take supplements if we have a protien at every meal?

Kranti
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 15:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins does recomend suppliments, in fact he recomends getting a prescription since over the counter pottassium suppliments are so light.

Not everyone needs them though. Do you use fitday? If you don't, get an account and just use it for a few days. Under the reports link there is one for "Am I meeting my nutriconal needs" Click on that and see how much pottassium and other nutrients you get from foods. Include suppliments your taking under custom foods and add those in, being sure your not gettting massive amounts of certain nutrients.

Find lists of high potassium low carb foods, and add those into your diet instead of supplimentation. Most green veggies such as broccoli and spinich are high in it if I remember. The body can process nutrients from food better then it can suppliments, plus foods have ratios of nutrients that help the effect or absorbtion. There are also many undiscovered nutrients or ones that can't be reproduced in a lab. Think of how recently antioxidents made the news.

Watch for leg cramps, dizzyness, or other signs that you may be low on potassium/calcium/magnesium. If you have none of these and are eating high pottassium foods, then there is no need to force down more pills then you need
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think that Dr. Atkins' books say that if a person uses "No SALT" on their food, that should be enough potassium supplement for Induction. The PPP people recommnend the 99 mcg tablets for the early phases of their plans.
Anyone taking ACE Inhibitors should NOT take any form of potassium supplement.