Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 22:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%
Default Time Magazine goes Low Carb!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 22:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Thanks interesting read 8>)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 22:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I loved the line about how the craze will end because people can't possibly continue on such an unatural way of eating for long.

Yep, unnatural. All those veggies, whole foods, cheap eggs I've been eatin ghave to go. And the 3-6 meals a day, can't have that. I'll just have to return to having shakes for two of my meals a day, or perhaps diving into twinkies and other little debbie snacks and return to a more "natural" way of eating. Darn it, I enjoyed my spinich and cottage cheese skillette too.

I thought it was also interesting how the tortilla makers had a special seminar on Low-carb, La Tortilla factory is just ahead of it's time. And I'm sure we all pity weight watchers because low carb is making thier meeting attendance go down
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 00:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I wrote Time Magazine. I thanked the editor for the article and explained that I was treating hypoglycemia with a low carb diet. I told him/her that I used the diet to treat my hypoglycemic symptoms which resulted in my weightloss. I gave him a list of foods that I eat ( which goes beyond bacon, eggs, and steak ). Listed foods including fruits and veggies that are never revealed by the media. I said that I didn't want to return to my past experiences with hypoglycemia nor did I want diabetes in my future so, for me, I would have to remain on this diet for much longer than 18 months.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:08

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

you know that's a good idea.. writing the editor.
what address did you send it to? email? thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 07:47

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%
Smile

Thanks for posting that thread, toeie...had to laugh at WW's whining! My question...since Atkins has been around for sooo long, when did it officially become a fad? It has been called a fad diet for 20 years, so I guess the prediction that "this fad" will pass in about 18 months is just a little incorrect.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 08:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"when did it officially become a fad? It has been called a fad diet for 20 years..."

True!

I enjoyed that article, but I can't decide whether or not it's a good thing that all this low-carb junk food is hitting the shelves. It's good in the sense that we LCers are becoming an economic force to be reckoned with, but bad when you note its similarity to Snackwell's and all the low-fat junk food. The media and medical community need to be constantly reminded that the core of this lifestyle is what Ladybelle so sarcastically illustrated.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 08:51

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

Great article. You know the lo carb WOL has to be huge because of all the manufacturers jumping on the lo-carb products band wagon.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 149/144.5/119 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Now, if we can just get food makers to get the nasty hydrogenated oils out of their nasty foods! Do I ask for too much here? lol
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:36

BF:

"but bad when you note its similarity to Snackwell's and all the low-fat junk food"

Absolutely. We "discovered" Atkins Breakfast Bars and all the other bars and my H has gotten bad about replacing his Snackwells and Fat Free Pringles with the B Bars and Indulgence bars. Which means 5 carbs that could have been veggies are now in what I consider the "junk food" category. The Breakfast bars are great if you need a replacement for a cooked meal because of early commutes to work (he leaves at 6:00 and can't face breakfast that early), but the Endulgence bars are exactly what the name says...an indulgence into "sweets" that we are trying to get away from. I have to admit that I was thrilled when we first found them. Now I don't see them in quite the same light because they have turned into a regular snack food. But I guess they are a life saver for people who wouldn't be able to stay on a LC WOE otherwise.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:58
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm one of the low carb dieters who have not been able to eat much of these low carb snacks. My body sees more carbs in them than their claimed "net carbs" say. Both the vegetable protein and sugar alcohol in them affect my ketosis state.

Zcarb was the first product to give me better results. It contains new sugar alcohols which seem to have minimum effect on my blood sugar. These two types are Erythritol and inulin.

Now a newer chocolate almond product made by Carbolite using their new trade name "CarboRite" has proven to have almost no effect on my blood sugar.

The new CarboRite chocolate bar which is called "At Last" contains the same new sugar alcohols Zcarb contains. Aditionally it contains minimum vegetable proteins.

The new product sells at most drug stores and also at 7-Eleven.

Sam
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 12:18

BF:

Read about them on the posted link. I, too, don't tolerate LC snacks very well...and the brand seems to make a difference, too, surprisingly.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:14

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

For all you U.S. fans of erythritol, there's a product called Stevita -- a stevia-erythritol blend.

Canadian sweet-lovers should order Chicolin, and cut it with some pure stevia powder.