Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Question Eating after exercising

Exercise and I have been total strangers until recently. I've read on this forum that you are supposed to exercise on an empty stomach. But how long after exercise should you wait to eat?

My schedule is such that I can only exercise after work. So, how long after the workout should dinner be?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureMoon
Exercise and I have been total strangers until recently. I've read on this forum that you are supposed to exercise on an empty stomach. But how long after exercise should you wait to eat?
It depend on the type of exercise. If you're lifting weights you want to eat pronto - within 45 minutes of putting down that last weight. If you're doing cardio, then wait an hour after and try to have eaten not more than 2 hours before you workout.

If at all possible, try not to workout too late in the day - exercise changes your hormonal profile, raising cortisol levels and it can interfere with sleep patterns and consequently fat burning.

If you do HIIT (high intensity interval training) it's best to workout as early as possible to get the maximum metabolic boost.

-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:36

BF:

I do the Curves 30-minute workout. Would that be considered cardio?

And I'm usually done by 6 pm. Nat, does that sound too late? I've been waiting an hour to eat but eating at 7 seemed a bit late. Any opinions on that or is it a YMMV thing?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:45

BF:

Quote:
Any opinions on that or is it a YMMV thing?
Definitely. I routinely eat a meal at 8 pm, but keep it light - If you're not going to bed before 9 pm then finishing a workout at 6 and eating an hour later should be OK.

Cardio = raises heart rate to at least 60-70% of maximum, so would curves qualify? (Sorry, I have no clue what a 'curves 30 minute workout' entails)

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:59

BF:

The Curves workout would be cardio. The routine alternates working on different resistance machines with jogging in place or whatever cardio movement you want to do. You try to stay around 70% maximum heart rate for the duration.

Thanks for your insight on this
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 15:45

BF:

Quote:
The Curves workout would be cardio. The routine alternates working on different resistance machines with jogging in place or whatever cardio movement you want to do. You try to stay around 70% maximum heart rate for the duration.
Sounds like circuit training - higher reps, lighter weights, aimed at fat burning. Definitely cardio. Wait a good hour post workout to eat, but not too much longer, while you're lifting lighter weights you're still using those muscles. Make sure you get a good dose of protein in that meal!

And you're very welcome
-N
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 20:08

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

In my case, I have begun weightlifting (very easy going to start with as a newbie) on an empty stomach and then this is immediately followed by 45 minutes step aerobics class...so no time to eat between the weights and the class. I decided to eat immediately after this, as it by then getting late in the morning, a high protein meal, including a shake with glutamine in it...does this sound right to you?

Thanks,

Val
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:29

BF:

Val, it sounds "OK" - but try to keep the workouts as close to 60 minutes as possible. Once you go over that, especially if you're trying to maintain lean mass, cortisol gets unmanageable and starts to eat away at muscle tissue. This is even more of an issue if you're not ingesting carbs post workout.

-Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 16:06

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Thanks Nat..I could of course carry some glucose jelly beans and eat 2 after weights and before the aerobics class. Would this be a good habit to start? At the moment I doubt if I am depleting much as I am pretty weak at this point..it will take a few months to build up a bit.

Val