Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 09:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 273/257.2/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question Water Intake question

Good Morning All,

I have a question about water intake. Right now, I am consuming approximately 80 fluid ounces (two 32 ounce glasses and one 16 ounce glass a day).

I was told that a person needs to drink 1/2 of their body weight in order to consume the right amount that will work for them. If you weigh 246 (like I do currently) does this mean I have to consume 123 fluid ounces of water for my wanter consumption to be effective?

Also, what is a "glass of water?" I have been told that a glass is 8 fluid ounces. Other measure by the quart or the liter...what is the correct way.

I would appreciate your help. I love this website. It has helped keep me focused...and this is just my second day!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:37

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Glass = 8 oz; quart is 32 oz so that would be 4 glasses/cups of water.

As for the amount...I was also told that one should drink 1/2 body weight. I drink about 90 oz a day...sometimes more, sometimes less but I always make sure I get at least 64 oz. I find that when I skimp on water consumption, my losses slow down..or even stop (if the water consumption is low for a few days).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Sounds like your intake is sufficient. Eight 8 oz. glasses, unless you are sweating alot, will usually cover your necessary amount.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Why not try upping your water for the next few days? I thought that at drinking 2 litres I was doing well, then to beat a stall I upped half a litre a day all the way to 5 litres, I found my body needs 3-4 litres a day to really feel good which is more than I expected.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:17

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have heard 1/2 your body weight as well as 8-8oz glasses plus 8oz for each 25lbs that you want to lose. I usually drink about 4-5 liters a day (128-160oz) per day.