Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/242/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy question about water intake and weight loss

I am wondering if anyone can comment on a correlation between the amount of water you drink in relation to the speed or amount of weight loss experienced. I know that water is an extremely important part of any way of eating, but I'm just curious to see if anyone has experienced an acceleration of weight loss by increasing their water intake. I have been on induction for three weeks now and everything is going well except that I don't think I am drinking enough water. I''m wondering if my weight loss will speed up if I significantly increase the amount of water I am drinking. Any ideas or comments?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:36

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yes !! Absolutely !
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:52
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

If I don't drink my 3 liters of water I will gain water weight. If I don't drink my water, I just don't lose weight at all. Dehydration is a easy thing for me if I'm not careful.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 20:53

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Could someone please explain that to me... the water thing. How is it that drinking more water causes more weight loss - and not drinking enough will cause you to stall? I feel like Im going to float away - and Im just barely getting in the 64 oz bare minimum!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 22:25

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default My understanding of it...

Shannon, when plenty of water is being consumed one's body will pass it through the system carrying all the waste products out. If the body is not getting enough water it will retain what it does take in, thinking there may not be more coming any time soon -- much like the starvation effect if you don't eat enough calories. The body's waste products are not removed as efficiently and just hang around.

If your urine is very pale or colorless, you are getting an abundance of water. If it is a pale straw color, then you are getting a sufficient amount. After that, the darker the urine the greater your water deficit.

This is my understanding on water in-take and how your body reacts to it. If I'm not right, please set me straight.

P.S. Also, if one is full of water, there's not as much room for food and one will not eat as much.

Last edited by AzureMoon : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 22:27.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 05:50

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Water flushes your body of ketones - -and fat - - and toxins. The more you drink the faster those things get out of your system. All I can tell you from experience is that when I skimp on water...my losses stop...when I drink my 1/2 body weight in water or more...I lose. So I try my best to drink my water.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:01

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Thank you!! Like I said Im drowning in water... but I dont think its enough, just more than I was used to. I was a smoker and I always needed a flavored drink to get that horrible taste out of my mouth (I know, I know - then why smoke? ) so I drank pop and not water...

I'll just have to get used to the switch

Thanks again for the explaination -