Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:20

Plan: Induction
Stats: 204/194/175 Female 5' 10''
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool Mother of all hangovers!!

Hi All,

I am on day 13 of induction, and have stayed wine free for that time....HOWEVER, friends dropped by last night and I drank way too much wine. I NEVER get a hangover, but this morning I am dying, nausius, dizzy and my head feels like a truck has ran over it!! Is it because I have no carbs to soak up the alchohol???

Going back to bed....

Sooz xx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 194/184.5/147 Female 5 FEET 6 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 20%
Cool

Nice to see that you are still thinking about your WOE even though you feel dog rough. Must say that I miss a "wee dram" before bed although I believe spirits are okay after induction, it's the mixers we have to watch. You could be right about the carbs soaking up the alcohol though, I believe bread, potatoes etc will soak up the alcohol. Drink plenty water, that MAY help!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I don't know what the mechanics of it is, but I have noticed the "cheap date" syndrome myself. It takes a lot less to get me tipsy. Anyway, wine does contain carbs - stick to distilled spirits with low carb mixers for the least diet damage.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 07:07
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

I was bad after drinking last week I thought my time had come!! Low carb and alcohol do not mix!! alcohol reduces your blood sugar levels, and you are eating low carbs, I had to eat more carbs that night to recover!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 07:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

If you must drink wine, drink white because it has fewer carbs. And be sure to alternate a glass of wine with one or two glasses of water. That will help keep the hangovers away.

I was a cheap date before LC. Now, one glass of anything is enough to do me in.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:07

Plan: Induction
Stats: 204/194/175 Female 5' 10''
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Again,

Think I've learned a lesson here, 3litres of water and some good food, have made me feel slightly better. I think you're right Lynda, LC and excess alchohol....LETHAL!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:25

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Unfortunately i didn't listen to Lynda when she said that LC and alcohol don't mix.
Friday night had just a few vodkas and diet coke, less than what i would normally drink on a night out but i certainly wasn't sober.

Saturday morning i thought i was going to die in fact the whole of Saturday i thought i was going to die. My head felt like it was going to explode and i couldn't stop being sick, I couldn't even keep water down. When i went to bed that evening my head was still aching!! I don't normally suffer from hangovers this was a first and a last! as i'm certainly not going to get drunk again until i am on maintenance with a load of carbs in me LOL
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:26
Yo-Yo

tell me about it I was bad for nearly 3 days and this is the girl who laughs at others for having hangovers cause I never get them!! My mates are all calling me plonky at the moment and that I was away with the vodka fairies. I wouldnt mind I didnt have that much, not like when I drink vodak with fresh orange, that goes down like pop...........
Next time (if I can ever stomach it again it will be with the fresh orange at least that has carbs in it!!)
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:34

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Oh hun, i knew you were bad but i didn't realise you were bad for 3 days!!!!!
I'm fine today thankfully, haven't got much of an appetite but i think thats more down to the weather than the drink!
I've learnt my lesson, always listen to Lynda
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:44
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbie.B
Unfortunately i didn't listen to Lynda when she said that LC and alcohol don't mix.
Friday night had just a few vodkas and diet coke, less than what i would normally drink on a night out but i certainly wasn't sober.

Saturday morning i thought i was going to die in fact the whole of Saturday i thought i was going to die. My head felt like it was going to explode and i couldn't stop being sick, I couldn't even keep water down. When i went to bed that evening my head was still aching!! I don't normally suffer from hangovers this was a first and a last! as i'm certainly not going to get drunk again until i am on maintenance with a load of carbs in me LOL

Its bloody awful isnt it god it took ages to be normal again (whatever that is) I felt I had died and been resrected from the grave (probably looked it!!) I swear never again unless I have the night of and go full carb with vodka and fresh orange. and if I do feel crap in the moring I will have some toast!!