Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/149/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default emotional eating

hi everyone, i was wondering if any of you had tips for preventing emotional eating. i have been an emotional eater all my life and i feel helpless in overcoming this. if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. i luv this woe but i feel like i would have even more control if i didn't eat ofr emotional reasons.....and maybe that'll help with my weightloss and more importantly long term happiness
tia
jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 01:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It can be really rough at first - it's also easy to relapse in the future - but the best thing to do is make a pact with yourself to not eat over what is stressing you and just deal with it without the using of food. Examine what you are really doing by using food. Are you trying to avoid something? Hide something? Swallow your feelings by eating instead of allowing yourself to feel them? Not saying something you really want to say? Allowing someone to make you angry and then soothing yourself by eating?

A couple of phrases I've used on myself is "Am I operating from the strongest part of myself?" and "Is this the hill I want to die on?"

You're making a good first step by trying to find the answers and you will find what's right for you. Don't give up!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 01:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I too am I emotional eater but I find the best way in dealing with it is asking yourself a question each time you pick up something to eat. Do I need this? Am I eating this because I'm hungry or because I'm just lonely? Instead of eating out of lonliness, stress, or just plain boredom, go on a walk, make a phone call, or go on the web. Just keep in your heart that you can overcome it. You'll do great! No worries!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 04:38

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I think this is still my biggest challenge...the emotional eating and then eating stuff you shouldn't. I now try to focus my attentions to other things....reading a book, cleaning my house, taking a drive, whatever....and keeping myself away from the kitchen. Its hard, but you can do it. If I really need to eat than I go for cheese...this has become my comfort food since beginning to LC.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:35

Plan: The Metabolic Diet
Stats: 155/149/125 Female 5'7
BF:25/22/16
Progress: 20%
Default your one of many of us

HI there

many women struggle with emotional eating so if I can provide some support by saying your not alone I hope that helps.

I notice emotional eating can become a vicious cycle. SO the hard part is starting to break the cycle by noticing when and what u put in your mouth throughout your days. I know for me when I get angry or or stressed with life realities I feel food is comforting so I'm apt to turning to it. I realize when PMS i get overly emotional and I jturn to food instead of dealing.

its NOT EASY. OVERCOMING emotional eating takes TIME. I can't say there is a specific "cure" for it . There isn't. YOUhave to make a conscious effort to want to DEAL with whatever it is thats bothering you. Take baby steps at first. Write down everything you eat , the times you eat and why you ate. FIND out WHY YOU ATE that specific food. THIS WAY you'll realize yoru Triggers!

hope this helsp hang in there. ALso talking with frineds and on thboard about issues u need advice on REALLy HELPS! Sometimes all u need is to spill your guts and know someone cares enough to listen!! GO OUT WITH THE GIRLS next time u feel stressed or upset about something, and chat it up . I FIND this really helps!!
be well
Piera
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:46
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Currently I deal with emotional eating by trying to stick to things on program. If I overeat at least it was allowed. Anytime I think of eating something high in carbs I ask myself..."do U really need this? Do you really want to thwart your progress and gain weight?" Then I say a prayer and ask for strength to stay on track.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:55

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Like Sophotia I made sure I stuck to things that were LC when I was emotionally eating. I would eat shaved ham or have an omellete or something. For the first few weeks I let myself whatever I wanted (that was on the plan) how ever often and however much I wanted. I recognized that a lot of it was 'emotional' eating. Then after a while an interesting thing happened. I just sort of gradually stopped doing it. It wasn't that I was 'emotionally' cured, but I think because I was able to stuff my face until I was full and yet the scale was still going down (therefore I didn't complete the cycle with guilt) I just sort of stopped doing it. My guess is that because emotionally eating was really no longer eating at my self esteem and causing me stress and guilt and gained weight afterward, that my psychy decided this wasn't really 'working' for it anymore and has mostly given it up. It does rear it's head occasionally, now and then, but really it hardly happens anymore at all.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:12

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC Artist
... many women struggle with emotional eating ...

MAC Artist,

That was all good advice, but some of us guys struggle with emotional eating. I was almost going to cheat this week, but decided to hold my ground.

jeantm,

The only advice I could give, is do this WOL one day at a time. Having read the book, you know that this program will work - so just let it work. Food doesn't comfort, friends do.

Peace
Rick
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What kind of physical activities do you enjoy? When I get the urge to eat from bordom or anger, a walk can sometimes do wonders to clear the head. Learning to do yoga or pilates can also help teach relaxive breathing and stress releif tenchniques. Pausing befor eyou eat to take a few deep breaths and a really good stretch may relax you enough and clear your head to be able to consider if you really want the food.

Taking naps also can help. I find when I'm tired I can get overly emotional, and having a rest, or a good nights sleep can make problems seem alot smaller.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:21
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

It REALLY helps to have someone that you can talk to whenever you feel the urge to eat due to emotional upset. Do you have any close friend or relatives who follow the LC lifestyle? My DH and I are LC'ing together, and he's been a HUGE emotional lift for me. I also find that just being about to "pour my heart out" to this group helps a LOT. I have never found ANYONE here to be judgemental -- we have all been there and we'll be there for you if we can.

Jeannie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:18

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%

I turned my emotional eating into emotional drinking of water. It is very difficult to over-induldge and have guilt for. With that pressure gone, I can often see what and why I seek comfort in eating.

Just a thought.

regards & best wishes for success
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/149/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

thanx all for the great tips, i have been trying to distracts myself when i want to eat....getting better at it,and water is helpful. i live with 2 roomies that eat high carb all the time and don't know anyone doing this woe. i guess it just comes down to thinking before every bite, and having a plan for those moments. today i went swimming for an hour when i got hungry feelings from boredom. i also work out everyday for an hour and when i get back could eat my whole fridge(2hotdogs, chk andcheese salad andi m still starved , go figure). but today after lunch i haven't been back to the fridge....baby steps are feeling like my theme song (and back up to 148 today...) motivation is my middle name though so it is al good
thanx
jean
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:38

Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

My trick is to keep my mouth busy! I am an emotional eater, a snacker....I just LOVE to eat...at work, at home, watching tv, reading a book - all the time. Now, since I've started Atkins, I bought a huge bag of sunflower seeds in the shell. That way, it keeps my mouth busy so I don't want anything else to eat and my mouth gets tired trying to take the nuts out the shell before I reach the carb intake limit.