Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 17:18

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Question on Treadmill vs. Stationary Bike...

The other day, for a change of pace, I decided to try the stationary bike for the first time.

I set it for 60 minutes, used a level 4 resistance setting, and set it to random hills encountered. I kept the rpms anywhere from 110 - 115 targeting my heart rate to 160, give or take the occasional fluctuations.

Now, my question is this. After the 60 minutes, according to the counter distance travelled was about 21 - 22 miles, and calories expended was 300.

Does this sound right? I mean, given my weight on a treadmill, a mere 30 minutes running at 7 mph would result in about 450 calories expended.

So, is running that much more energy intensive than biking? Or, perhaps the bike I was using wasn't calobrated accurately, or am I missing something here?

I was considering riding the stationary bike every other day as a change of pace, but not if an hour's of riding at 80% max. heart rate results in a measly 300 kcals expended, especially when juxtiposed with running 60 minutes which would easily yield close to 900 kcals expended.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Frederick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 17:33

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:

I dont know anything about exercise to be honest.. however i did notice re: treadmill that you said 'given my weight'.. not sure if your bike takes your weight into account..

That being said, here's what fitday.com had to say:

Bicycling stationary, 100 W, light effort 331 cals Running 7 mph (8.5 mpm) 386 cals

im sure fitday does NOT take weight into account for calories burned

HTH some!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 17:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Frederick, you'll burn more on the treadmill because it's a weight bearing activity and it is of higher intensity. That shouldn't dissuade you from cycling now and then - a change of pace is always a good thing.

FYI, Peapod, fitday will take weight into account for any activity - just change your weight in your profile and watch the total calories burned for the same time / activity dwindle!

-N
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:02

BF:

awesome natrushka!! i was just thinking that as i entered my activities today.. i thought, it can do everything else practically.. how hard would it be to do that? i could probably firgure out the code

youre the best! so educated.. im impressed
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 03:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick

Now, my question is this. After the 60 minutes, according to the counter distance travelled was about 21 - 22 miles, and calories expended was 300.

Does this sound right? I mean, given my weight on a treadmill, a mere 30 minutes running at 7 mph would result in about 450 calories expended.

Frederick

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but maybe you can answer mine. I just bought a stationary bike and I can't ride it for more than 5 minutes without tears running down my face! How do you ride for so long without it hurting your, u-hem....RUMP! I thought I had plenty of cushion on MY seat and the bike's seat, but it hurts so much I have to get off! I'm so disappointed.

Morgan
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan1974
I just bought a stationary bike and I can't ride it for more than 5 minutes without tears running down my face! How do you ride for so long without it hurting your, u-hem....RUMP! I thought I had plenty of cushion on MY seat and the bike's seat, but it hurts so much I have to get off! I'm so disappointed.

Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Ah, it hurts!

LOL...sorry, hate to disappoint you, but after about 20 minutes, my pained posterior was protesting the rest of the way. Afterwards, I felt was if some unruly devilish imp had slipped a firecracker down the back of my trousers.

Not sure if I have any salient advice for you, except that during some stretches where the pain was escalating, I'd turn up the resistance, stand up peddaling faster, a la uphill riding. Not sure if your machine has that feature, but you might try that?

Finally, you can just opt for my more draconian solution. Just suck it up, and say afterwards, "No, I prefer to stand, but thank you all the same!"

Seriously, I presume after several weeks, our posterior's would get used to the pain and adjust? I'm not sure on this point, perhaps a more experienced biker can offer an insight on this.

Wish I could have been more of a help,

Frederick
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:27

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Hi Frederick

I was just as surprised as you when I started doing the bike down the gym. I burn off twice as much on the treadmill than I do on the bike. I now only do the bike for 20 minutes a day but level 12 resistance and that really kicks my butt. It gives my legs a real good workout too.

I go on the treadmill then for 30-60 minutes. Depending how I am feeling

The best machine though is the cross trainer. In 10 minutes I burn off 200 calories on level 14. that machine kicks ass! It's also a total body workout.

My trainer has suggested to me that I do as much cardio as I am comfortable with because my most important muscle is being used - my heart.

You sound like you are doing great to me!!
Keep it up

Jenny
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyxcali
I now only do the bike for 20 minutes a day but level 12 resistance and that really kicks my butt.
Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Ok, I'm officially impressed! Level 12 and 14 resistance? Sheesh! Were you the streaking racer who won the uphill gold in the last Olympics? LOL

I'm having enough trouble with L5, let alone even contemplating peddaling for more than a few minutes on L10+!

Did you build up to the resistance? Even at L4, I find running easier in many ways than biking.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:18

BF:

I started biking (see my post in the exercise forum entitled 'new to cycling') a bit over a month ago I think.. owie! it hurts for a bit, but then your body gets used to it and it doesnt hurt anymore but once in a while.. same experience goes for my dear hubby who began biking with me
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 12:29

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Federick

Yes, I started on level 1!!!! I have a 28 mile bikeathon on September 14th so I couldn't mess around, I had to get stuck in and quick. The first time was a nightmare. It hurt but I never had a problem with the seat though.
I have really noticed a difference in my pulse, I can do alot more. I built it up one level at a time. Try hill mode. That really gets the heart pumping!
When I get tired, I stop. I will go onto another cardio machine.

I always do a 5 minute warm up before I start my workout and that is on the bike. Try to increase a level here and there on your warm up. Not to hard though or you won't want to do any more. (I made that mistake once!)

So what is your routine? I am always curious to see what other people are doing. Besides, I might get some good tips!!

Jenny
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyxcali
So what is your routine? I am always curious to see what other people are doing. Besides, I might get some good tips!!

Hi again, Jenny.

My routine is pretty simple. I opt for the morning empty stomach run for about 35 minutes at 7 mph. Then, later in the late afternoons, I'll run for 20 min at 7 - 7.5 mph, then go through some weights alternating days between upper body and lower body workouts. After the weights, I'll run a relaxed 10 minutes before heading out for some dinner.

That's bascially my workout routine, which is pretty simple. I've read and as was reinforced by many here, that a change of pace is good for us. In that vein, I decided to give the stationary bike a try.

However, I must confess that I like running infinitely more than riding.

With kindest regards,

Frederick