Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/159/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:35%/35%/25%
Progress: 0%
Default Ketosis in 19 hours?

This is my second time on Atkins, and I've only been off carbs for about 20 hours now. But I FEEL like I could already be feeling the withdrawal symptoms and the "ketosis" taste in my mouth. Is it possible for my body to respond that quickly? I'm feeling real tired and I'm getting a headache, and I never get them in the middle of a day. I sure hope that's it, the sooner I start feeling lousy, the sooner it will be over with!
Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:21
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Sue,

It is possible, it all depends on how many carbs you had in the days before starting, and how well you utilize carbs. I'm not doing atkins and have accidently gone into ketosis when having over 100 carbs(whole grain or legume carbs) and heavy exercise. If you were relatively low carb before starting - like under 150 then you could get into ketosis very quickly.

Have you worked out or done any cardio, this would cause the carbs to be used up more quickly and speed you into ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/159/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:35%/35%/25%
Progress: 0%

Yes, actually I have both been exercising/working out AND not eating a lot of carbs. Actually, I haven't been eating a lot of ANYTHING for the past two weeks. I am part of a contest we're having at the office to see which "team" can lose the most weight in 10 weeks, so two weeks ago I started counting calories and exercising. Now trust me, those were a MISERABLE two weeks for me, and to get on the scale and find I only lost 1 pound after all that work was very aggravating. I then decided if I really want to see some quick weight loss without so much suffering, I should reread all my info about Atkins and get back on it. And boy it better work because when I show up to the office Monday with my egg and sausage breakfast and my high calorie/protein snacks, the rest are going to be yelling at me for not supporting the team effort. Wait til they see the results a week later! (I work with a bunch of unknowledgeable anti-Atkins people). Maybe THIS will change their minds!
Sue
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 16:03
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

sounds to me like you are in ketosis with that minging taste in your mouth. I think the headaches are withdrawls from either carbs or caffeine or both.
Hope it passes soon and the weight drops of you
Good luck