Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 12:37
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%
Exclamation I feel BLAH!!!

Since Thursday I have lost my appetite, which I put a post on about, I was told to try and eat little meals and more often Ive managed three small meals today the las t I had to force myself to eat!! I feel so sick and have a really bloated feeling it almost hurts!!
Im tired and Moody and saying and doing the most stupid things.
Is this normal has anybody else felt like this and does it pass?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Girly, you need a kick up the bum and get on track, my 3 weeks of only eating one meal got me in a stall so start eating even if you don't want it!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:20
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

When this happened to me, the only remedy was to increase my carbs by 5/day. Cleared it right up. I never go below 30 carbs anymore and I have not had the total appetite loss problem again...although I do still get full quickly, even on my favorite foods.

I read somewhere--maybe on the low-carb newsgroup--that in some people, one of the brain centers that processes ketones is right next to the main center for nausea, and that therefore if certain people went into too deep a ketosis, they would not have an appetite and some of them would even feel nauseated.

I don't know how true that is, but if it were true it would explain what happened to me. Just thought I'd put that out there as a possibility.

Emily
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:30
Yo-Yo

Well never mind feeling sick I was sick!!
I think I will have to leave of foods for a few days and drink fluids until I feel better, there is no piont force feeding myself if I am going to be sick all the time with it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 16:06

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Have you been to the Drs about this? You may well have a stomach infection. Not everything is Atkins based so it's always best to check it with the GO first.

Hope you feel better soon! Good idea on the fluids too.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 16:16
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaUK
Have you been to the Drs about this? You may well have a stomach infection. Not everything is Atkins based so it's always best to check it with the GO first.

Hope you feel better soon! Good idea on the fluids too.

To be honest Lisa I was thinking the same thing myself, not everything has to be related to the Atkins diet, it might be a tummy bug or anything if I dont feel better by Monday I will be tootling along there!!
Thanks for the advise!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:47

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

That's okay. We do tend to blame the diet but you do sound as if you've got a bug. Drink as much as you can to try and 'flush' your system and see how you go.

Let me know how you are!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 03:38

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I hope you're feeling better today Lynda, are you approaching TOM? My first one on Atkins was a real killer for me and everyone around me, if not then take it really easy today and see the doc in the am.

Hugs, kelly
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 05:00
Yo-Yo

Hi Thanks everybody Im feelin a lot better today I think I havent been getting enough carbs so I am moving on up from induction so I can have a few more carbs in the form of nuts and berries YUMMY
THank you all so much for your concern and help!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 07:40

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Lynda

I have also been amazed with my lack of appetite.

I have never ever eaten breakfast, even as a child. Normally my body wants to wait at least 2-3 hours before any food then all of a sudden i'm starving and then pig out for the rest of the day and evening. If i try to eat before my body is ready it just makes a reappearance.

After my first week of induction i noticed i was getting less and less hungry, until it got to the point that i wasn't hungry at all. I could quite easily go all day with out eating anything. My husband noticed that i didn't eat again last night, even offered to make me something as he thought it was because i was fed up with having to cook different meals for the family and myself, So now i have him fretting over me.

I just know if i eat when my body doesn't want to it will just make me sick. After reading these posts i'm going to try having something with higher carbs for my first meal of the day, hopefully that might help stimulate my appetite for the rest of the day.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Hope your feeling better
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 09:03

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Lynda

Glad to hear that you are feeling better today. With all the bad press about Atkins and the low carb way of life it is easy to blame that when it is not the culprit.

When I went through the first stages of the menopause last year someone wanted to blame my lack of energy and other symptoms on my diet, but I knew that having been healthy for 7 months on it that that was not the cause.

Glad you are increasing your carbs. You may find you get a whoosh to go with it!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:32
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbie.B
Hi Lynda

I have also been amazed with my lack of appetite.

I have never ever eaten breakfast, even as a child. Normally my body wants to wait at least 2-3 hours before any food then all of a sudden i'm starving and then pig out for the rest of the day and evening. If i try to eat before my body is ready it just makes a reappearance.

After my first week of induction i noticed i was getting less and less hungry, until it got to the point that i wasn't hungry at all. I could quite easily go all day with out eating anything. My husband noticed that i didn't eat again last night, even offered to make me something as he thought it was because i was fed up with having to cook different meals for the family and myself, So now i have him fretting over me.

I just know if i eat when my body doesn't want to it will just make me sick. After reading these posts i'm going to try having something with higher carbs for my first meal of the day, hopefully that might help stimulate my appetite for the rest of the day.

I'll let you know how i get on.

Hope your feeling better

Hi ebbie thanks for your reply, I have had a few more carbs today in the form of sugar free jelly thick double cream and toasted almonds!!
I am still feeling a bit dodgey in the tummy dept so I will probably have the same for tea instead of nuts Im gonna have a few strawberries!!
I havnt got a full appetite at the moment, but if I keep eating small light meals it may come back, I will let you know how I have got on.
It will be interesting to see how you get on also, please keep me informed!!
Speak soon and good luck!!

Last edited by lburnikell : Sun, Jul-27-03 at 10:36.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:42
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleAnne
Hi Lynda

Glad to hear that you are feeling better today. With all the bad press about Atkins and the low carb way of life it is easy to blame that when it is not the culprit.

When I went through the first stages of the menopause last year someone wanted to blame my lack of energy and other symptoms on my diet, but I knew that having been healthy for 7 months on it that that was not the cause.

Glad you are increasing your carbs. You may find you get a whoosh to go with it!

Thanks for your reply Anne
I know what you mean I suppose it easy to use the diet as a whipping boy (the culprit!!) I know when I first started the diet I did feel quite sick but I got over it and felt great!! So it could be so many different aspects It could even be my gastric bypass reacting to the change in foods.
I have decided to try increasing my carbs to see how that goes but one way or the other Im not giving this diet up, (even though I have days where I feel I could) Ive lost 17lbs in the space of three weeks, and to me that is bloody good going!! It may very well start to slow but as long as I dont shoot up by loads, I am quite happy.
I will be even happier if the woosh fairy pops in to see me sometimes!!!