Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164.5/157.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/36%/20%
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up Psoriasis and Atkins

I have only been on Atkins for 11 days, I have only lost 3.5 pounds.

However I have something even better, I have suffered with psoriasis for 22 years on my hands and feet and I have to say that this week my hands and feet are looking like the psoriasis is going away and I mean not just a little let up but really better and getting better every day.

Not that this would work for everyone but it is worth a shot!! I will continue on even though a little frustrated with not lossing as quckly as I had expected, well this is a great bonus!!!

My family is amazed and so am I!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:01

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Tammy,

Bonuses are great!

Don't fret too much about "only" losing 3.5 lbs. You are right on track for weight loss. You've lost 9% in 11 days and the goal is to lose about 10% during the two weeks of induction. Don't be in too much of a rush to lose weight - this WOE is not a quick weight loss diet! With the amount of weight you have to lose, you probably only want to lose about 2-4 lbs a month anyway. Losing slowly while on this WOE helps you to learn the proper way to eat for the rest of your life. So be patient, stick to the plan, and you will lose the weight you want to lose.

And don't forget to exercise!

As far as the psoriasis, isn't it great how getting all the refined foods out of our systems does wonders for not just the weight but the whole body! You're just beginning to discover the benefits of this WOL.

Joan
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:07

Stats: 194/170/155 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

My Psoriasis went after a week on Atkins. I suspect it is down to the increase in oily fish.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 17:55

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I have really bad psoriasis and I itch ALL the time. I can say since in the last 5 days when I haven't cheated I have not itched at all. Although my scalp is still pretty bad, maybe it'll heal that too in time?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 19:52

Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

For all who are interested, there are a few others who have found varied results with their psoriasis on Atkins. Just click here and you'll find what others have had to share about their experience with psoriasis:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...light=psoriasis
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:53

Plan: Atkins / Protein Power
Stats: 215/152/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 97%

I had terrible ECZEMA that had spread from my elbows to my knees to my legs to my feet to my ankles to my hands to my fingers and to my arms. The eczema on my fingers was so bad that they would crack and bleed, leaving me in terrible pain.

I saw any number of dermatologists over the course of my life and they all would prescribe me a cream to spread on the eczema and give me instructions on proper showering. That was for the first 25 years of my life, until I started Atkins last September. Since then, for the first time in my life, I have been COMPLETELY FREE OF ECZEMA (not to mention free of acne, free of food cravings, free of high cholesterol and free of an extra 60lbs of fat).

It is unbelievable to me that dermatologists continue to perscribe those useless creams to manage eczema, when there is a way to rid yourself of it entirely. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the follies of mainstream medicine anymore.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 287/260/220 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up psoriasis? atkins

Hey tammy
I have had psoriasis for 25 yrs and yes atkins has helped me tremendously I can wear shorts I also do light treatments the combo really got rid of a lot.
Good joB
Geri
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 17:41
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Congrats! I PRAY this may work for me too!

Right now, I have been trying to figure out the best way to get exercise. I have the type that's on the hands and feet and it is total agony to even put shoes on, let alone go walking. I'm still too heavy to do much else.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:19

Stats: 257/215/210
BF:
Progress: 89%

According to the "Protein Power" book LC'ing slows or stops the body's production of a microhormone called "Arachidonic acid" which can cause skin rashes, plus a lot of other things.

But, unfortunately, eggs, red meat and fat contain a lot of AA. Fish oil supplements fight AA and those few folks sensitive to AA should cut the fat off, limit egg yokes and "clarify" butter. AA in meat is reduced by grilling or marinating in wine and olive oil.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 13:38

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hmm my dad has psoriasis...i may try to get him on this diet