Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 14:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%
Default backpacking

I'm goin on a 2 day backpacking trip soon and I need some ideas for non perishable food to bring along, I don't wanna have to eat beef jerky the whole time
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Oh ummm.... uhhhh..... Cans of green beans? Tuna and lil packets of mayo? If you're on OWL or above - berries, LC bread, LC peanut butter, ... ummm... some nuts?

Gosh, all that keeps running thru my head is the beef jerky, lol.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 09:18

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

When I used to Backpack our first night was always fresh meat!!! Normally Steak. We would freeze it the day before, then wrap it first in a double plastic bag, newspaper, then brown bag it. By the time we setup camp that night it was still a little frozen but just right!!! The first morning we all had bacon and eggs!! Do the same with the bacon and just keep the eggs in a backpack egg container next to the steak and bacon (wrapped in paper), and they will be just fine!!! I am asumming that you are going to be cooking over a fire.

You can also make foil pouches and freeze them!! Ground Beef (chicken works too) seasoned and legal veggies double wrapped in foil and then just toss that into the fire for 20 minutes. Ohhhh sooo good!!. and no plate to clean!!

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Good Luck!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:17

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi again,

Just had an ideal for the second day breakfast. If you will be boiling water you can have Keto Banana Nut Hot Cereal. I really enjoyed that on my vacation.

Good Luck
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:42

Plan: S.Beach/Insulin Resistnce
Stats: 310/274/260 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

The frozen steak - frozen food in foil idea works well IF you can build a cooking fire, or carry a bigger stove than I bring. Since I wind up packing in an esbit stove most of the time, my food choices usually reflect 'just add boiling water'.

Consider your fire/stove, your WOE and include as appropriate: tuna-in-a-pouch or kippers + fresh shallots/onions, summer sausage/jerky. Ghee or olive oil, fruit (fresh or dry) + 'Cadillac Gorp' made with almonds, macadamia, cashews, dried apricots. Hard cheese, string cheese. Tea &/or coffee, a few oz of 120 proof bourbon (4 oz 120 proof whiskey = 6 oz 80 proof). Whole wheat or otherwise lo-carb pita or tortillas. whole wheat cous cous + pine nuts + dry mushrooms + dry onion soup mix. I also bring my rolled oats/flaxmeal/wheat germ/dried apricot/dried milk/sliced almonds/splenda pre-mixed porridge, the same as I eat at home. In my covered 'tupperware' bowl I add oat mix + boiling water & cover with a 'tea cozy' arrangement of bandana/spare shirt/hat/foam pad/whatever and let it sit for 5 minutes while I drink my coffee. The coffee + hot hi-pro lower-carb fiberload brings on the morning thunder.

If you're interested in fishing when you backpack, this 2 oz gizmo is fun.

http://www.backcountry-equipment.co...c/handline.html
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 00:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

120 proof bourbon huh? my tolerance has gone waaaaay down since I lost 50 pounds, plus the fact that the elevation we'd be at equals me getting drunk real easy, I don't think I'd last.
definatley plan on fishin there. never caught so amny fish in my life then when I was at this lake last about 3-4 years ago
thanks for all the ideas everyone