Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 15:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default attn: yogurt experts

I bought some Stonyfield lowfat yogurt with 6 active cultures. is that ok? I know high fat is preferred, but if I maintain my fat% at ~65 %otherwise will it harm me?

ingredients:

cultured pasteurized organic low fat milk, inulin, pectin, 6 live active cultures,

in 1 cup carbs=17, fiber= 3, sugars =14

how would I enter this in fitday or should I leave it for others only?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 15:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On a weight loss level I didn't see any difference between low fat and full fat. Wher eI did notice the difference though was definetly on taste. The low fat I tried I had to mix in sweetner or other things to make it even tolerable. The full fat yogurt tastes creamy and nummy, without near the acidic bite. I can eat it strait easily. One thing I enjoy doing with my yogurt you could try is mixing in 1 scoop of atkins shake mix or other protien powder. It makes it like a mousse and it just something a tad different for when I'm not having other protien in the meal
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 15:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
On a weight loss level I didn't see any difference between low fat and full fat. Wher eI did notice the difference though was definetly on taste. The low fat I tried I had to mix in sweetner or other things to make it even tolerable. The full fat yogurt tastes creamy and nummy, without near the acidic bite. I can eat it strait easily. One thing I enjoy doing with my yogurt you could try is mixing in 1 scoop of atkins shake mix or other protien powder. It makes it like a mousse and it just something a tad different for when I'm not having other protien in the meal

thanks, i bought some blueberries that I want to have with it for breakfast tomorrow.

i have some french vanilla protein powder - a scoop is 1/3 cup. about how much would you mix in to say a cup of yogurt.

also, do I count this at 4 ECC? how do i force fitday to take it?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:41
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Stonyfield is great. Lots of cultures. Makes no difference low fat/full fat, except in taste as Ladybelle says.

For Fitday, enter your yogurt as a custom food and just put 4 g per cup.

My protein shake is:

.5 cup yogurt
few frozen berries
4-5 ice cubes
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

(chop the ice and berries in the blender first then add the other stuff)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:45

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

SUPPOSEDLY there are "hidden" sugars in the low fat...Anyone know about this?

I emailed the Schwarzbein website (I know, you're doing Atkins but we've got the same concerns...) with this same question and that is what I was told, STAY AWAY FROM LOW FAT YOGURT OF ANY SORT.

Whaddaya thinK?
JInx
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Sugar Busters
Stats: 152/124/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 127%

I'm not sure what plan you follow, but I am doing Sugar Busters, and I eat Blue Bunny Lite 85. It contains only natural sugars (that are found in milk) and they add some Splenda. It is very tasty and I eat it for breakfast sometimes.

Take care!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 17:37

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool When do you add in the yougurt?

At what point do you get to add in yougurt, I think I understand the need for the higher culture ones but I didn't understand the carb count. ARe you saying 1 cup of this particular one being 4 carbs??
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 18:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is a great thread on this in the general low carb section, do a search there. It is also talked about in the book 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Basicaly the live active cultures in the yogurt turn the lactose to lactic acid, this gives yogurt it's slightly bitter taste. Lactose is the milk sugar. When it is eaten, the actual amount of effective (or net) carbs in yogurt is reduced to 4 per cup. You have to find a good yogurt though with plenty of cultures. The yogurt also helps the good bacteria in the intestines which is great for people with yeast over growths.

Yogurt can effect people differently. I only have a half cup per day and count all the carbs on the nutricional lable, even though I know I'm not getting all those. You can probably safly add it back in as soon as you go to OWL if you feel comfortable trying it. If you are lactose intolerent and not having any cream while on induction, you might try using it in place of the cream in some recipes. There are more carbs that have to be counted, but it means no upset tummy for me
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 19:58

BF:

thanks
i was able to get it into fitday as 11 carb - 3 fiber
I think that's ok, I'll overestimate it.
it's pretty sour, but other than that it was ok.
the blueberries were bitter too which didn't help matters
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 20:17

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I add 1 tablespoon sugar free Davinci syrup. 1 tablesppon has zero carbs. It just kinda takes the edge off.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 05:03

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

For some reason if I eat more than 4 oz, I get knocked out of ketosis. ANd since it never satisfies me, I treat Yogurt more as a suppliment to a meal or a "dessert". I feel that despite you being able to "subtract" some of the carbs....the carbs that are left can definitely affect some people...I have proven this to myself thus I eat yogurt on occassion.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Actually, the count isn't reduced TO 4 grams a cup for any brand -- it's reduced BY 8g. The GO-Diet people started with 12g/cup pure (e.g. milk and yogurt cultures only) yogurt, while many of the plain varieties I have seen are 16-20g/cup -- almost all of them add something like pectin to the milk for texture. Even Stonyfield has inulin and pectin, although its carbs do really work out to about 12. Check your ingredients list, and it will probably have something other than milk and active cultures on it which adds carbs. So your cup of yogurt may be as much as 8g carbs -- you can't just automatically count it as 4g, unless you made it yourself. The true carb count for one-cup servings is total carbs - fiber - 8g.

Re the Blue Bunny Lite 85, this actually does have added carbs in the form of modified food starch -- at least, that's true for the Key Lime, the Vanilla Creme, and the Strawberry currently in my fridge. And since these are 6-oz containers instead of 8-oz, you only get to subtract 6g, not 8g! They are mostly 13-15g per 6-oz container, so you should be counting them as 7-9g carbs.

Sorry to burst anyone's yogurt bubble, but it's not quite as simple as 1c yogurt = 4g carbs!