Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 14:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%
Default free online body fat calculator

I didn't know where to put this, and it may be that others already know about it or about something similar.

I just found this site yesterday while doing an internet search,
http://www.mybodycomp.com
it offers a way to calculate your body fat percentage. There is an article about the way it works on the site as well.
You have to join, however that is free, and once you activate a membership, you go to a web page and fill in a bunch of body measurement and then it figures out your approximate boday fat percentage, as well as lean body mass and fat mass.

Well, maybe some of us really don't want to know, which is really perfectly OK, however I did it.

I also found it to be pretty accurate.

Awhile back when I weighed less, I had the lean body mass calculated at a gym several times, and at that time it was 145. this is heredetary, my whole family really is big boned and heavy muscled. it's not just an excuse,
any way, this site figured my current LBM at about 170, which makes sense as I work harder carrying the extra weight around.

It is such fun to be off the scales. I had a jr. hi gym teacher tell me I was small boned and should weigh 108 pounds. She did a lot of damage, as at the time I was around 150, which was probably only a few pounds overweight at the time.

I felt so ashamed in High school to weigh around 180, although I taught swimming and swam for hours everyday doing that.

Now that I know what I should weight, probably 180-190, I was maybe only 20 lbs overweight back then, if that.

Enough rambling.
I guess if people are interested, they will check it out for themselves.

Good low carbing to us all!!

Rena
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:44
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Post here's a link...

http://216.97.116.55/calc.html

click on this link for online body fat calculator. there's several to choose from. use the one that works best for you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 03:08
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:01

Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:46.1%
Progress: 10%

I know...I am just everywhere...

I honest to goodness was going to write a post yesterday asking how on earth you calculate your body fat!! I got too busy and then stumbled across your post today. I had visions of being submerged in a tank of water or some darn thing, so this was nice and simple. Thank you!!!

Now that I have seen my body fat percentage....Oh, boy....What an eye opener. Well, I am off to post the info in my journal. Thanks again!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 18:32

Stats: 230/195/145 Female 5'7
BF:42/38/28
Progress: 41%

There are many body fat calculators out there.....very true!
The one at davedraper.com told me I was about 27% body fat!
Bless that little online calculator!!

The truth is I know I am nowhere near that.
The best calculators are the ones that ask extensive questions about
your weight/size ratio. I agree with Rena, the calculator at
www.mybodycomp.com is great! It also allows you to save many
profiles along your weight lose journey and compare them later. It offers
suggestion for where you need to build muscle as well!
It's a great online tool!

T
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 04:55
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default lean body mass

been reading all of the posts and visiting the various sites linked and doing the calculations.
WIDE variations from differing sites.
Can somebody tell me what kind of doctor would be able to do a more technical/proficient calculation for me? With my current health insurance the visit would only cost me a $10 co-pay which I would gladly fork over for one definitive answer. (I'm assuming that my lead body mass is going to be a rather constant number until further old age erodes the density of my bones or something?)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 05:10
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Actually, probably the best place to get a "true" bf% would be a health club, if they have the hydrostatic method. Doctors would use either skin fold calipers or the electrical method. I had the electrical one done at a local health fair (about 10 pounds ago) and it told me I had 19.9% which I knew was way too low.

I personally just use a couple of different online methods and then just track the changes.