Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%
Question BFL and LC- Upping the carbs

I just started reading the BFL book and doing some research on the internet. I've been on Atkins for about 1 month and have been exercising on my own. I'm keeping to an "induction type" menu eating no more than 20-25 carbs per day. There are some days this does not feel like enough and had been wondering if it is because of my working out.

After reading up on BFL, I know this is why. I will surely have to find a way to up my carbs regularly when I start. Currently, I'm happy eating what I am, I've got the routine down. It would work much better for me if I could find one item or meal that would contain my all extra carbs as to not to upset the routine I've established. I also read that adding this before lifting on those days is good. So here are my questions:

1. Would pineapple and cottage cheese be good? It would be roughly 20 carbs for 1/2 cup of each (I'm assuming my body can handle 20 extra-- if not I'll adjust). I'm so used to eating LC that pineapple just seems WRONG to me! I do miss fruit though. If I could have this on my lifting days and then stick to my LC routine the rest of the time that would work out nicely.

2. Why exactly do you need to up the carbs when you work out more? Is it a fatigue issue or does it actually interfere with weight loss/inch loss progress? Do you get headaches (I've had some after working out a lot)? Not that I intend to try this-- I'm just curious.

Has anyone tried upping their carbs for BFL in one meal like this? How did it work? Any other suggestions for what else might be a good, quick carb snack? Also, I know it's an individual issue and I'll have to find what is right for me but out of curiosity, by how much did some of you up your carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 08:07
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

1. I think pineapple has too much sugar. Try blueberries. I would put frozen blueberries on top of cottage cheese and they'd melt a little and make a nice purple juice and it was really quite good.

2. The carb level is an individual thing. Some people work out still at induction levels. Some needed to have 100 carbs. I did okay around 45-55 but it's hard to tell. I used a lot of dairy products including yogurt so the actually number eludes me. Find out what works for you. The carbs are an energy issue I believe, do you have enough energy from carbohydrates to do heavy/intense lifting? If you can't get through your workout or you feel draggy the rest of the day instead of pleasantly energized up the carbs slightly until you do.

I don't recommend eating carbs by themselves. Always combine carb with fat and protein. The 6 mini meals are challanging for some to do. I only did 6 meals for 2 weeks. I felt good with 4 meals and maybe a snack, but didn't snack very often.

My favorites were whole milk yogurt (Stoneyfield organic, plain) with chocolate Designer Whey protein powder. Whole milk ricotta cheese with the same, cottage cheese with blueberries (mentioned above).

I had good inch losses, but weight didn't move at all. I went on induction and gave up exercise entirely after week 9. The scale went down and I felt great. I should get back into exercising again, I'm signed up for the mid summer challange, I guess that means I need to exercise tomorrow.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:02

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hi Sunspine!
carbs basically provide energy for your muscles... if you dont get enough carbs when you are working out with weights and alot of cardio the effect can be a cannibolization of the muslce.. which is essentially your body feeding off itself.... you need abit of carb, many in this forum up their carbs to about 40 while doing BFL.. others use abit more

Check out this link, it will give you some background:BFL and LC

j
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I just started BFL, a friend who did it before gave me a bunch of packets of Myoplex. Is that too many carbs for doing LC and BFL together? I was thinking about maybe having a half a packet of Myoplex in yogurt after lifting.