Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/188.1/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default overdose on fat or protein?

I made atkins's recipe for chocolate ice cream and basically i have been eating it over the course of four or five days. i have also been eating this low carb meatloaf i made. also polished off a six-pack of diet rite soda (no splenda) in the last week. i don't eat too many veggies and considering that nothing i have eaten has crazy amounts of carbs, why is it then that i gained a pound? is it possible to overdose on fat or protein (maybe even splenda?) and actually gain weight when on a low carb diet? this weight gain happened to me last week, too, but i lost the added weight a few days later. i'm tired of gaining and losing the same pound. anyone got any suggestions on why this could be happening? i want the cycle of doom to stop.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:48

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

It's more than likely just water retention. It would be basically impossible for you to eat enough fat or protein to gain a few pounds over a few days. Look back at what you've eaten and evaulate whether or not it was higher in sodium. Then look and see how much water you consumed. Any time I eat things that contain sodium, I need to up my water intake to off-set the retention-- even so, I still can bounce up a few pounds, but then they go away again.

My advice would be to watch your sodium consumption, be sure to eat your veggies (no matter how yucky ) and be sure to get plenty of water.

HTH!
Nikki

PS- I've been gaining and losing the same 4 lbs. for almost 3 mos. now. However, I have been losing inches the whole time. Have you measured lately?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:09

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

If you haven't been eating any veggies you might be plugged up!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:49

Stats: 209/188.1/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default thanks for the advice!

thanks for the advice, guys. i'll give more water, more veggies and more fiber a try.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It is possible to get too much protien, which would cause an insulin reaction. Unless you are getting over 300g every day or there abouts I wouldn't worry. The chocolate ice cream could have too much cream in it, or you could be having over the proper amount of splenda and other sweetners. Cut things from your menu one at a time and see when you improve, or just cut them all out and add them back slowly one at a time. If you are eating too many calories you can also gain. Remember to only eat when hungry, or if not hungry have a small carb controlled snack after 5-6 hours, and only eat until satisfied, not full feeling. Satisfied means you can sit down and alalyze, relizing you can survive a couple of hours until snack time

Sodium is more likely a cause. I like diet rite because it is one of the few colas I've found that's sodium free. Sodium lerks everywhere else though, especially in processed foods, pork rinds, or other salty foods. For some reason they add sugar and/or salt to everything these days.

and EAT YOUR VEGGIES or we'll tell your mother!!