Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:35
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%
Default You Can't Believe Everything You Hear In A Newsletter;

Hi All, I just had to share. Yesterday I got a newsletter from my HMO. They had an article on weightloss, they had a blurb on LC diets and didn't have any positive things to say. The author certainly never did her homework, and brought up all the old arguments that have been disproved. Of course they were pushing their own weight management clinic. That would have been a hoot, they are probably pushing their clients into eating all those carbs. I find it sad, because people believe what they read in those things, and are probably wondering why they can't shed any weight. Judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 06:36
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

No kidding. I just watched on CNN this past weekend where a nutritionist told a caller that Atkins will raise your cholesterol. What a load of crap.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:21
Registered Member

I know I have heard some pretty negative hype on Atkins, Most of it is unfounded. And also usually written by people who have not studied the subject very well. I personally follow Protein Power, but I think the 2 programs are very similar. Well on Monday I will be going for a physical, we'll see what my HMO has to say. If they ask me about my eating habits I plan on being straight forward and honest.On another subject I have discovered some great Low Carb info for vegetarians on the web. I guess I wasn't asking the right information before, because I have found some fairly decent recipes. Well I'm off to my yoga class, have a great day. Judy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I think in many ways taking a vegetarian approach to lo-carbing is one of the healthiest ways of eating anyone can take on. Not only are we reaping all the benefits of eliminating low-quality carbs from our diets, we`re also ensuring that the protiens we do eat are very high-quality and clean. People can tell me all they want to about the benefits of lots of meat, but I still can`t bring myself to believe that a McDonald`s hamburger patty is a healthy choice for anyone. Lots of protein, yes, but it still has to be good quality protien.

Takes a bit more work & creativity, but I think we`re all rock stars... ;-)

Ella Mae
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I think veggie low carb is healthiest too, particularly since a new study came out implicating high protein diets with early kidney disease. The study said meat is implicated but not protein from dairy and vegetable sources! That kind of wrapped it all up for me.

The study also said that early kidney malfunction in otherwise healthy folks have no symptoms until the disease really gets bad. That really scared me. I wish I had a link to this study, but it's all over the internet, and hopefully on the research forum here on this website.

I am a lacto ovo veggie and will stay this way. I just love it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 22:02
Registered Member

I've been a vegetarian since mid 1980's when a very good friend just keeled over with a heart attack. That got me to thinking and changing my own eating habits. When I started this I thought I had to give up part of myself. I tried eating meat, but could never digest it. Ended up with killer headaches, always nauseous, and no energy. Well all that has changed, except for one day last week. And I have had people tell me I probably did not drink enough water. My energy level is up, and as long as I leave the addictive carbs alone I'm fine. So I'm happy to be an LC veggie. I only hope this weight comes back off, Judy