Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:04

Plan: Atkins, CAD, Zone
Stats: 216/207/160
BF:
Progress:
Default PCOS and CAD???

Hello all, I am new to the forum, but have been attempting to low-carb Atkins style for months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and insulin resistance, for which I take 1000mg of Metformin a day. I had a terrible time on Atkins, NEVER got over the cravings and would always binge eventually. I would like to try the CAD plan, but am wondering if it will even work for me with the PCOS...Do any of you have PCOS? Has CAD worked for you? I would greatly appreciate any input as I am feeling very bummed out about LC'ing...I can't see how I can do Atkins forever...CAD seems the only reasonable option for me. I heard Rachel Heller has PCOS too?

Hope to hear from someone soon...Thanks...
Christine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 19:36
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I don't know about Rachel Heller having PCOS but if she does she is definitely doing CAD so I can't see where you'd have problems. CAD will definitely get rid of the cravings and binge cycling and the insulin resistance.

Why don't you give it three weeks strict? Print out the cheat sheet and stall list for reference.

Good Luck!!! We're all here for you!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hello Christine...

As you may know, I'm new to CAD and can't tell you anything except that I've switched from Atkins one week ago today, and I'm still trying to get the basics straight!

But I can tell you lots about PCOS because I've had 20 years worth of it and have done my share of study. Finally, the connection between glucose and PCOS is scientifically clear (duh!), thus the Metformin and other drugs...so the only way for us to live our lives is on a basic LC plan. Simple.

CAD was a good option for me too because of the binge eating... I was happy for the most part, making wonderful LC desserts, but there was always a reason to "cheat" with my favorite things here and there.

I figured I needed a plan where those inevitable treats were not going to give me failure, guilt and no motivation to start again. CAD seems to be the right thing.

However, this week I have done nothing but obsess about my RM's and have WAY overdone it... much worse than my occasional binge on Atkins... so there IS a good deal of control on this plan as well, something that will have to click in with me today if I am to have success at it.

You're only a week behind me, so why don't you grab the book and get started... I was referred to Zule from others on this forum for her knowledge and support on CAD...and I have not been disappointed!

Thanks, Z... I'm only starting week 2 today because of YOU!! (Having my coffee now...gotta go!)

Good Luck Christine...hang in there...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:48

Plan: Atkins, CAD, Zone
Stats: 216/207/160
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Well thanks for replying girls...I have to go pick up a copy of the book, and then I'll let you know. I am really sick to death of the binging cycle, and I KNOW my insulin levels have been unstable for years, so I'm hoping this will be the "un-diet" and one I can actually live with long term....
I will keep you posted...