Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 10:28

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/144/135 Female 5'9"
BF:19
Progress: 44%
Lightbulb Zone Coach, question for ya...

If I am working out at the following rate, will this consist of the Very Active lifestyle?

Thanks for your help!

Sunday
Cardio 30-40 mins
Yoga 1 hour

Monday
Chest 3 exercises
Tri 3 exercises
Abs 3 exercises

Tuesday
Cardio 30-40 mins

Wednesday
Shoulders 4 exercises
Bicep 2 exercises
Calfs 2 exercises
Abs 3 exercises

Thursday
Cardio 30-40 mins
Yoga 1 hour

Friday
Back 4 exercises
Abs 3 exercises
Legs 5 exercises

Saturday
Cardio 30-40 mins

Totaling per Week:

8 hrs 37 mins- Maximum
or
7 hrs 57 mins- Minimum

The trick for me is to stick with it!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 22:26

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Activity Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalaura
If I am working out at the following rate, will this consist of the Very Active lifestyle?

Thanks for your help!

Here are the guidelines.

Sedentary; .5
Light activity (e.g., walking); .6
Moderate activity (1.5 hours per week); .7
Active (1.5 to 2.5 hours per week) .8
Very active (greater than 2.5 hours per week); .9
Elite athlete (or weight training five times per week); 1.0

As you can see the activity factor depends a lot on the amount of actual weight training you do in a week. 1.5 to 2.5 hours is generally "active". 2.5 hours to 3.3 hours is generally "very active" and anything over 3.3 hours is elite.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 08:45

Default Ok

I weight train 3 times a week for 1 hour per day. (this does not include my cardio/yoga) My weight training per week equals 3 hours, so this will make me Very Active, right?

Aren't I suppose to add in Cardio sessions as well?

Last edited by lisalaura : Sun, Jul-06-03 at 08:46.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 12:19

Quote:
I weight train 3 times a week for 1 hour per day. (this does not include my cardio/yoga) My weight training per week equals 3 hours, so this will make me Very Active, right?
Aren't I suppose to add in Cardio sessions as well?

If you're trying to differentiate between active and very active, then yes, I'd say very active. If you're looking to bump up to elite, then more weight training is in order. On intense cardio days, you could bump yourself up with one block.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 04:57

Default thanks

Well, actually, I want to eat LESS. Believe it or not. I don't want to over calculate my activity and then not lose.

I tried day one of my new lifting routine and it only took about 40 mins. So if the other 2 days are the same, that will bring me back down to ACTIVE. That's good for me. Presently, I am at 14 blocks a day. I recently checked on zoneperfects calculator.

BLOCK REQUIREMENTS

5:00am- Wake

5:15am- 1 Block

6:00-7:15am- Workout-followed by 1 Block

9:00- 3 Block

12:00pm- 3 Blocks

3:00pm- 2 Blocks

5:00pm- 3 Blocks

8:00pm-1 Block before bed

Do you think I am spliting them evenly enough?

Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 22:46

Quote:
Do you think I am spliting them evenly enough?

Your split is certainly fine, especially if you feel good (Zoned). You may want to consider taking one out of your 9am and putting it into your wake up or post W/O. Your insulin levels are severely reduced (at their lowest) then (ie; sleeping fast and working out).
Quote:
Well, actually, I want to eat LESS. Believe it or not. I don't want to over calculate my activity and then not lose.
Are you continuing to lose with this schedule? I would caution on reducing your blocks. Are you currently doing the 1-1-1 ratio? It may be time for you to do some tweaking. By that I mean, dropping a carb and replacing the calories with fat. If you're unclear on how to do that, let me know. Knowing you tho, you've probably done the research on how to do it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 03:28

Quote:
Your split is certainly fine, especially if you feel good (Zoned). You may want to consider taking one out of your 9am and putting it into your wake up or post W/O.

Well, actually I am in such a rush showering in the gym then driving a half hour to work, it's difficult to get just ONE block in after my workout.

But you are right. I was actually considering taking TWO blocks post workout THREE blocks around 9am, and cutting my lunch from 3 to 2 instead. Lately I feel like my lunches are too big to begin w/. I am not that hungry around that hour.

Quote:
Are you continuing to lose with this schedule? I would caution on reducing your blocks.

No, I would never lower blocks. My boyfriend keeps trying to do that b/c he wants to lose faster and I tell him not too, especially if he wants to build muscle. MEN!

[/QUOTE] Are you currently doing the 1-1-1 ratio? It may be time for you to do some tweaking. By that I mean, dropping a carb and replacing the calories with fat. If you're unclear on how to do that, let me know. Knowing you tho, you've probably done the research on how to do it. [/QUOTE]

Well, here's the truth. For the past few weeks since we got back from vacation, we have been on again/ off again in the Zone. This week I am having problems b/c of the HUGE carb hang over I have from pigging out over the 4th holiday.

I usually do well, or at least WAS DOING WELL in the past using the 1:1:1. I will stick w/ it for at least 4-6 weeks. THEN (thank you very much for reminding me!) I will try to tweak it w/ one less carb block and replacing it w/ a fat block instead. So this will really help me lose faster eh? I have read it, just never tried it. Do you do this as well?

Thanks again ZC!

Last edited by lisalaura : Wed, Jul-09-03 at 03:33.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:36

Stats: 128/120/116
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hello All,

Sorry sneaking in but I would love to know more about adjusting th 1.1.1 ratio for faster weight loss.

Thanks a million
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:40

Quote:
Well, actually I am in such a rush showering in the gym then driving a half hour to work, it's difficult to get just ONE block in after my workout.
But you are right. I was actually considering taking TWO blocks post workout THREE blocks around 9am, and cutting my lunch from 3 to 2 instead. Lately I feel like my lunches are too big to begin w/. I am not that hungry around that hour.

As you know, you can split your blocks any way you like so long as you don't exceed the 5 hour mark or 5 block rule. Cooking large qtys of stuff on the weekends or at night helps for those rush mornings. I often will take 18 egg whites and cook that up with turkey bacon and no fat mozzarella cheese (figure out the total protein block count), add the appropriate amt of olive oil... then weigh the whole concoction, divide it out into whatever portion size I want and then all I have to do is grab a piece of fruit or some other quick carb. I also cook up large batches of steel cut oat meal and freeze it in (recycled) yogurt containers (Blue Bunny is my fav). One container is 2 blocks. Defrosts/cooks up quick and I can inhale while on the move Some people mix protein powder into their oatmeal. Personally ~

Quote:
No, I would never lower blocks. My boyfriend keeps trying to do that b/c he wants to lose faster and I tell him not too, especially if he wants to build muscle. MEN!
Let him know it is really physiologically almost impossible to lose more than about (avg.) 1.5 lbs per week while maintaining or trying to gain lean tissue.

Quote:
Well, here's the truth. This week I am having problems b/c of the HUGE carb hang over I have from pigging out over the 4th holiday.
It makes you wonder why you would ever want to do that to yourself again, huh?! Like over indulging in alcohol and promising ourselves we'll never do that again! Yah, right!

Quote:
I usually do well, or at least WAS DOING WELL in the past using the 1:1:1. I will stick w/ it for at least 4-6 weeks. THEN (thank you very much for reminding me!) I will try to tweak it w/ one less carb block and replacing it w/ a fat block instead. So this will really help me lose faster eh? I have read it, just never tried it. Do you do this as well?
It is not intended to make you lose faster (rule above), but intended to break a plateau or for those who are ultra carb sensitive. You should only do it with major meals (3 blocks or more) and never with snacks. The Zone guideline is to do it for a week to "break the plateau". I have a tendency to "cycle". I know my body very well (remember, I've been Zoning for almost 3 years) and know what types of meals work best for me with the reduced carbs and added fat. Am I a Zone sinner? Of course! Can't be an angel all of the time!
Quote:
Thanks again ZC!
Anytime
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibiche
Hello All,
Sorry sneaking in
Not a problem.
Quote:
but I would love to know more about adjusting th 1.1.1 ratio for faster weight loss.
Note what I mentioned to Lisalaura a moment ago. I'll post a separate thread on the subject.