Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/146/144 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Should I send this letter??

Ugh! Here in Canada we have these "Bodybreak" commercials where they sling the "low fat, low cal, high complex carb" crap at us all the time. It just makes me mad everytime I see one of them. They're just perpetuating the myth that the low fat way of eating is good and they influence people to keep beating their heads against a way trying to do it the "right" way and heading straight for the grave. ARGHHH!!

Anyway, I wrote this email to them, do you think I should send it??

I just watched one of your commercials where you make a couple of smoothies. You give the amount of fat, protein and fiber but not carbohydrate. Why not?? Because they contain a lot of carbohydrate, that's why. Or because you think the carb content isn't important maybe? Please give complete information.

On another commercial you give a recipe for a stir fry with veggies and for a fruit salad. They start out okay but then you have to load them up with high glycemic dressings. !!!

The low cal, low fat, high "complex" carbohydrate diet approach is bad for many many people. It means deprivation, hunger and food cravings for many people and then subsequent weight gain and misery. I really wish we could finally stop being bombarded with this erroneous AND DANGEROUS information. I mean, get a clue, IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do you think Canadians and Americans are getting fatter and fatter?? Because we've been fed this low fat, high fiber concept since the 40's, not to mention all the awful "low fat" and "wholesome" foods that are loaded with insulin spiking carbs. Sheesh!!! So, all the time people are beating their heads against a wall thinking they're doing something good for themselves and there families and really they're only heading them for obesity, diabetes, heart disease and a host of other problems.

Yes, I'm angry about this and seeing your commercials makes me angrier. Many health professionals are finally FINALLY coming around to a different attitude about diet, I think maybe you should figure this out too. You're reaching a lot of people via the media, try using it to increase awareness of the dangers of high glycemic foods.

There, what do you think? BTW, I think Bodybreak is a government sponsored program, I hope by sending that mail I won't get auditted or something .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 16:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Unless the purpose of your letter is just a general rant and wanting to send the message that you think their program sucks, you might want to consider referencing a few studies to back up your position. There are a couple of recent studies that have been published that would give a good deal of credence to your position.
OTOH, since they're basically trying to sell a program, I have a feeling that your words will fall on deaf ears, but it's worth a try at the very least to get them to think about what it is that they are promoting in light of recent research.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 16:56

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Sure it sounds good, fire it off.

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:39

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

The ad I hate is Jenny Craig...especially the last comment which is almost whispered..."plus the cost of food". When I checked them out a year ago, the cost of food--little tiny packets that wouldn't satisfy a bird--was higher $$ than my rent!

judy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

I think any letter to an advertiser is good. I agree that if you add research to back it up its better. Advertisers listen to people who write....more important...the stations who use the advertisers listen even closer. Send a CC to the station manager.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I believe that you should send it. You are a customer, the person they want to sell to. They are going to have to reevaluate their values.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:26
Registered Member

Stats: 304/146/144 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Thanks for all your responses. I did send the letter and I guess I'll see if I get any response. Why knows, they could get 25 letters a week like that. Maybe sometime they'll change their views. It burns me that so many people have suffered for so long trying and trying to do "the right thing" when it was really the wrong thing all along. Sigh!