Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 09:50

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default St. Johns wort, SAMe, 5-HTP??

When I get off caffeine that sweet and starch cravings get worse (normal, yes? yes.). I would prefer to stay on caffeine for a while but the twins, of late, get painful almost IMMEDIATELY after anything more caffeinated than green tea (2 cups per day, currently).

I know that the book says I should self-medicate with fruit IF I have a sugar addiction, which I really don't UNTIL I am off caffeine (and sugar and alcohol). I should go ahead and self-medicate until I am crapping ambrosia? HA ha. Sorry. I just crack myself up sometime. Damn serotoin!

Also, I CRAVE alcohol, that mellow, relaxed feeling - destruction of choice, as I'm sure you all know by now, is dry red wine. What the heck do I do about this? I'm not sure there is enough fruit at the store for this many cravings HA!

For now I am going to max out on the L-Glutamine - any ideas on how much I can/should work up to? I am going to go ahead and buy some SAMe and/or St. Johns's wort - any of you take this?? What dosage?? How long does it take to start working?? Would they work faster if taken with vodka? hahahahaha. help! NOW, I said!!!

Your cranky baby,
Jinx

P.s. WAAAAAA I need my drain plugged! hahahahahahaha. I'm telling ya, I'm losing it!

Last edited by MsJinx : Mon, Jun-30-03 at 12:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 12:53
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Sounds like you need to look into a supplement to curb a candida overgrowth. It will make you CRAVE alcohol. I started craving it last year AND I DON'T DRINK!!! Don't have a taste for it at all any more. Just battle the sweet tooth late afternoon (especially if I'm stressed)(that 4-6p munchie monster WB mentioned from her leptin book many pages back in her journal-another hormone thing). I've read L-glutamine has been used theraputically up to 40 g a day without incident. But for carb cravings, try 5 g 1 hour before you eat or 2 hours after, 2 or 3 times a day. You might also want to try liquid grapefruit seed extract. Start with 5 drops in some juice before bed and work up to 15. I do 15 drops 2x a day. Don't start with that much. If it's candida, you'll have a horrible die off. It's strong.

HTH LizzyB
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 13:39

Hi LizzyB,
You look like a different person! Both look just swell, however. 'Bout time to be changing my avatar again.

I usedta have candida overgrowth years ago. Seriously intolerlable! I take a reallly good probiotic that hopefully helps?

Stress is really the culprit now, like you said. Anytime I'm travelling, even for pleasure!, the stress puts me at the door of the local bakery!

I can be perfectly fine when I'm home alone all day...

I just ordered a bus load of supplements (including St. John's wort and SAMe) today so I'll haveta keep your suggestions in mind for next month (except for the glutawhatever - I already have that and will follow your instructions - I better write them down!)

Hugs,
Jinx
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 13:44
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

I have my drug stash in the fridge. I got a kilo of l-glutamine from iherb.com. 45.00 for 1000 g. I figured it out compared to the capsules and it's 1/10th the cost. And I just dump a heaping tsp in my juice in the morning. Sometimes I take it mid afternoon if I'm home then. I'm going away next weekend, so I saved an empty vit c bottle to put some in, so if anyone asks I'll just say it's powered C and avoid an hour long conversation!!! (unless it's someone truly interested and not just nosy!!)

LizzyB

The Sam-E is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach. That was my problem, I could never remember to take it!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 15:43
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Jinx - As a fellow alcohol craver - I distinctly remember her saying that those with damaged adrenals should NOT go cold turkey on alcohol elimination (oh now you've got me crapping alcohol) - but should taper off. She does prefer red wine to be used as the alcohol - When I've been drinking lately (blame hot summer days in the pool) I've used white wine because I can mix up a spritzer with soda water and lemon - that way I can have a couple of drinks for the price of one. Remember she does not expect us to overcome all our vices at once.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 21:43

Koko,
You, my dear lady, are my new BF! Anyone who tells me to drink red wine is golden in my book!

About the alcohol - due to hubby's INCREASED intake, my intake is increasing also. And, unfortunately? I get immediate bad side effects like staying up all night obsessing on WHATEVER and driving myself nuts. This was not as bad on vacation cuz there was a tv with cable (I saw this plastic surgery show where this guy spent $20,00+ to look like Tom Arnold!! ). Okay, EXTRA nuts. It just exacerbates all my other problems. One glass is fine. One BOTTLE is not. Plus, when I drink, we don't go to the gym. I can go during the day without dh, which I often do, but sometimes he specifically asks if we can go when he comes home. But then he opens a bottle. So then, I'm not only drinking but I"m skipping out on exercise. It was fine until our friend at the liquor store started recommending all this stuff. Now we have all this wine and Mexican Martini stuff, raspberry vodka and raspberry liquor...SEE!

I've always made it a habit to not keep anything around that I could do serious damage with in a short time period. Alcohol definately breaks that rule. I also threw out my mint cigarettes some weeks ago for the same reason - even one was not ok anymore - stimulants (and depressants, apparently!) really keep me awake at night.

Ok. Bed time. Nighty Night you lovely ladies. I was good today, hopefully I'll sleep like a wee baby.

Sweet Dreams!
Jinx