Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:35
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Damn Blood Pressure/I am BLOWING UP

Hiya all:
Well...I was sooo happy last Friday when my Doc told me I could ditch the BP pills I had been taking for over 10 years.

I bought the L-Taurine that Dr atkins says wroks so well and is a "POWEFUL DUIRETIC". Man, is he full of S**T on that one! My body LAUGHS at his L-Taurine....and has filled with water to the point that my hands and ankles are swollen...and I just weighed myself and I am up 5 pounds since the past three days.

WATER. I am FILLING with water, and I feel like hell. BIG FAT WATER-RETAINING JAKE....and my SODIUM HAS BEEN VERY LOW.
I am going back on my BP pills in the morning. When I lose another 20 pounds...will try tossing them again.

Man...WAR is HELL.

...I am still blessed. At least I have GREAT teeth!
Got THAT going for me, ....which is nice!
Best to all;
WATER BOY

Last edited by mammoth : Thu, Jun-26-03 at 21:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:51
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I sympathize. I had to go back on my meds too. The water retention got really bad. My meds took care of it though and I'm still losing so everything is ok. Just will keep on until next Dr. appt in 6 wks.

I tried all the natural diruectics - taurine, green tea extract, hawthorn, and Ura Ursi. Later read that these natural remedies don't help when water retention is due to heart problems. It's always worse in the summer, too.

But hang in there, we'll get off these meds someday. It will just take more time.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:59
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Barb; sorry to hear you had problems too!
I know I will have my BP meds GONE...just think I would be more comfy with keeping them right now, as it turns out. I really think another 20 pounds will make a big difference.
My Blood pressure was great last friday...not sure why I am filling up with water...but I do think ALOT of the supplemental remedies are bull. Might work for some people...but not ME!
Best to all;
Jake
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 22:22

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Damn Blood Pressure/I am BLOWING UP

Quote:
Originally posted by mammoth
...I am still blessed. At least I have GREAT teeth!
Got THAT going for me, ....which is nice!

Not only THAT Jake, but you have that ROCK STAR hair thing going there -- can't complain about that!

Sorry to hear you're water logged, buddy. I can imagine how uncomfortable that must feel. Hopefully you'll start draining soon!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 22:54

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Talking LOL

I am so sorry to hear that going off the meds has been so hard. Is there any way you could stop slowly instead of cold-turkey ? I used to take Atenolol (sp) for tachycardia/HBP. I did go off it over the course of a week, but didn't have the side-effects you described. Are you taking any other meds that can compromise your renal function (ie. steroids, some asthma meds) ? Just a thought. Perhaps you could talk to your pharmacist and get some advice.

Perhaps TOM is just around the corner for you and you are retaining water? Sorry, lol, I know you're a guy . I love reading your posts - you have a great sense of humor and never fail to make me laugh (and others I'm sure).

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 06:36

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Good morning Jake,

That all really sucks and I feel for you. It is exciting to get off of meds and frustrating when it doesn't work out.
I got the go ahead to go off the last of my diuretic two months ago when my cardiologist said I no longer needed it for bp control as my resting bp is now around 100/60 with my rebuilt heart. I have tried three times to wean myself off and each time gained three pounds immediately within two days. I resumed the med and lost it in a day. I was not willing to stick it out to see if my body would adjust because of the discomfort. The doc said it was my call and to stop it when I "felt comfortable" doing so. You know how the comfort is when it feels like the garden hose is up your butt and you are taking on water, diet or none.
So, my friend, this will pass in time and hopefully you will not need them in the future, but for now they are on your side.
Have a great weekend!
T.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 11:00

Stats: 157/147/125
BF:
Progress: 31%

Jake,

I feel for you with the blood pressure thing big time. I tried to do the same thing and presto! instant dirigible & I gained five pounds. I was furious, bloated, depressed; it wasn't pretty. Once we lose more weight we can give it another try. In the meantime, you've got great teeth, the rock star hair & you are a true source of inspiration to many of us on this board.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 17:45

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Hey Jake and everyone with BP Blues! I have the opposite problem, My BP meds make me retain and I start getting pitted Edema on my ankles. Anyone else on something like Lotensin (calcium channel blocker) and have these symptoms? I hate taking the stuff!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Me
Stats: 268/208/200 Male 6ft 1in
BF:
Progress: 88%

hey mammoth, i'am kind of in the same boat as you. I can't seem to shake off my bp meds just yet. I tried the natural approach but the bp just went threw the roof. So the doc put me back on my regular meds of the past ten years and told me to wait a while longer before i try the non- prescription pills. Good luck with all.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 16:35
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm sitting here with pitting edema up to my knees I have venous insufficiency, aka varicose veins. Plus I have to take a lot of painkillers and NSAIDS which cause the kidleys to retain fluid. I don't have blood pressure problem though, thank goodness. Nonetheless, it's a real p*sser when the shoes won't fit or there's so much swelling I have pins and needles in my feet from the pressure.

My darling doctor just says "You're obese .. lose the weight and the problem will be solved" Yeh right .. so how come I had this when I only weighed 140 lbs??

~~~~~

Diuretics can cause rebound fluid retention when you go off them. Yes, it's best to taper, don't just stop cold turkey.

Cutting down on salt and salty foods is a good idea, and maybe use a little No Salt substitute .. it contains potassium chloride which is helpful to balance sodium and water in the body. Don't need much .. 1/8th of a teaspoon has 325mg potassium in it. Don't use potassium if you're taking ACE inhibitors or other diuretics that can make the kidneys retain potassium. Check with your pharmacist to be sure.

Cut back on coffee .. regular or decaf, doesn't matter. Even decaf contains xanthines and other compounds that act like a diuretic at first, but end up causing you to retain. Tea and green tea may be preferable. I agree with you about the various herbals and supplements .. they don't work, or else they're very mild and only work a bit. A mere tap, when what you need is a sledge hammer!!

One thing I've found that is helpful ... a cup of hot (not boiling) water with the freshly squeezed juice from half a lemon. Drink it straight up if you can, or use stevia or some other filler-free sweetener. Have this on an empty stomach, either first thing before breakfast, or mid-morning. Sip it down, then chase with a glass of cold water. And yes, has to be hot water, not cold. Note -- don't use bottled lemon juice, or the stuff that comes in those little plastic lemons. That stuff has preservatives, either citrate or sulphite.

I also find that asparagus seems to have a certain diuretic property, so if you like it, go for it. It's great with fresh lemon juice

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:46
Registered Member

Stats: 288/280/188 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Mammoth,

Can't see your teeth, but hair & body looks great, you don't look swollen but I'll take your word for it. Do love your sense of humor.
I have had swelling in my hands, feet, etc. for years even though I don't have any medical problems (that I know of ) & am not on any medication. I always try to do the natural remedies first. Some work, & some don't. I didn't see where anyone mentioned alfalfa, but many times in the past when the swelling was really bad it has helped me a lot. I usually buy it in bulk & make tea or cap it up in gel caps. Just thought it was worth mentioning in case that was one you missed trying.
I usually took 5 (00 size capsules) in the morning & then again at night.
Good luck, & sorry you are having problems.

Take care,
Bratina

P.S. I promise the alfalfa will not make you look like a cow, but could make you a sleek race horse! If you start to winnie, then cut the dose in half, ArhArh!