Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/288/170
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default New and Very Worried Diabetic

My doctor told me a a few weeks ago that i have diabeties II. I am 50 and am about 100 pounds over weight. I know I have to get this weight off! I am a big lover of carbs and know this has to stop. I have read books on Dr. Atkins diet.

I was under the impression that if you are Diabetic II you could not go on Dr. Atkins diet because of the fat content. My Dr. only told me to lose weight and put me on 1 pill of glucophage 500 mg per day. I would like to go on Dr. Atkins diet, = any thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 12:54

Plan: PP; Bernstein
Stats: 260/219/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Atkins, Protein Power, Bernstein all work great for diabetics. Just get started immediately by cutting your carbs & eating protein, good fats (olive oil, butter), & green veggies. My A1c has dropped from 8.3 to 5.3 eating low-carb; last week I was taken off 3.75 of my 5 medications for high blood sugar, high cholesterol, & high blood pressure. Losing 40 pounds (via low-carb) & exercising 30 minutes a day is all it took. You can do it as well.

Last edited by Andee : Thu, Jun-19-03 at 12:57.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 13:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I think you would see your blood sugars respond very well to eating low carb. You do need to get the book and read through it and then plan on following it to a T -- that way you will get the best results.

Don't focus on the foods you can't have, but on the foods you can have and the positive effect they have on you. Check your blood sugar throughout the day, something like this: before breakfast, 2 hours after, before lunch, 2 hours after, etc. and then at bedtime. And anytime you are not feeling well.

It may take a couple of days, it may take a couple of weeks, but you should start to see your numbers decline.

When you go to see your doctor I would also emphasize the food I eat, the vegetables, the meats and how your blood sugars are responding and how you are feeling. Sometimes they don't like to hear the word Atkins, tho some doctors will suggest or prescribe it to their patients, but mine has started talking too about carbs and how she likes that I choose the lower carb items because my sugars are coming down.

You may have a headache for the first week or even two, take tylenol or advil to help relieve that -- it is a sign of detoxing, withdrawing from the carbs and sugars in your body -- it is normal and will lessen and go away -- you may even feel some nausea, you might want to have some chicken broth to sip on to help and lots of water.

You can do this, feel free to read others postings and ask any questions you may have.

Good luck to you.

also check out on the right hand side which plan is right for you and the orange bar at the top of the page has a lot of hints, helps and recipes.

Last edited by Debi Warne : Thu, Jun-19-03 at 13:26.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 15:42

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default GET THE BOOK!!!!!

The first thing anyone with blood sugar problems of any kind should do is get Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and read it from cover to cover. If your doctor doesn't agree with it, get a new doctor.

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 17:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I was under the impression that if you are Diabetic II you could not go on Dr. Atkins diet because of the fat content.

It's not the fat content in your diet that gave you diabetes; it's the high glycemic carbs. High glycemic carbs or too much of even the good kinds of carbs can cause havoc on a diabetic's blood sugars.
Diets that are high in fat and low in carbohydrates also have never been shown to contribute to or cause heart disease in any way. All of the studies that they say shows fat gives you heart disease are also high in carbs and sugars.
You may want to do a bit of reading through the cholesterol/heart disease forum for more information on the topic or you can also visit this website: www.thincs.org for some very interesting research on the whole idea that healthy dietary fats (not the trans fats or hydrogented fats) cause heart disease.

I very much agree with Jim's suggestion that you get and read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution Diet. Even if you don't follow the plan, it's excellent information to know and have on hand to refer to.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default 50 and newly diagnosed, too!

I am newly diagnosed Type II. I did Atkins with great success in past and I started low carbing as soon as I got the test results, before my doctor and I could meet again. By the time we met a week after first blood draws, I had all but eliminated my bg. Two weeks later, bgs are normal.

But I am watching myself, gonna get a glucometer.

My doctor offered me diabetes counseling. I asked her if it would be based on 'old fashioned diabetes diet'. When she said yes, I declined the counseling. THEN she told me that the mainstream is just starting to understand the connection between carbs and diabetes. Weird interaction: she offered me the old high carb diabetic counseling and then agreed that low carb works.

Then she gave me a sheet of forbidden foods for high cholesterol and THEN flipflopped again and said low carb would lower my cholesterol.

Weird interaction. New doc. Good thing I knew about low carb.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:49

BF:
Default Doctors are victims too

The doctors have been lied to just as we have been. The good ones will respond, however, to the phenomenal results we get so effortlessly.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 08:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sounds to me like she's "hedging her bets" a bit. She's still worried about the possibilities of a lawsuit if she comes right out and prescribes a low carb diet and something goes wrong, but at the same time she's realizing that the "old diabetic diet" isn't working.
So...she's offering the "old" plan while at the same time suggesting that low carb may be an effective way to go as well without outright recommending it.
Defensive medicine...gotta understand it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 120/120/106 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Also was dx. with diabetes in Feb. 55 & 60# overweight. Been round the block on adjusting meds. & still am but lcing it has really helped me & there is a site I'm on which has been a life saver for me as everyone there is diabetic one type or another. You can find it at diabetes~world.std.com
I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
Alot of the people there suggest this site too.
Deanna
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:02

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i,ve had diabetes for nearly 10 years.l-cing allowed me to stop my insulin and be med free for the last 3 years(anniversery august of my last insulin injection).it also brought my weight down and has maintained it for 2 years.it,s the best thing i ever did.
i hope it helps you as much as it did me.
good luck

christine
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 00:10

Stats: 241/229/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have had maturity on-set diabeties since 1974, though it wasn't invented until about 1996. The only time I've had my blood sugars in good range, and lost weight, was when I did Atkins. Then I deceived myself into diabeties denial, gained it all back, and am now back on lc. I once followed a physician's order for a hc, low protein, low fat diet and ended up gaining 40 pounds in about a month, despite 2 hours a day at the gym.

Read Bernstein and trust it. It has worked for me and he makes immense sense.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:50

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

I am not a diabetic and am on Atkins, but from what I know about my husband--My suggestion is get on Dr. Bernsteins diet because it specifically deals and addresses problems for those with diabetes. Aleka
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:06

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Dr. Bernstein is great!

I agree - get a hold of the Bernstein book and read it from cover to cover. It will give you a good understanding of the disease itself, AND the connection between carbs and blood glucose. It is intuitively sensible that low carb is appropriate for those who cannot metabolize carbs easily.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:32

BF:
Default Even if you're not diabetic

My diabetes, or at least its diagnosis, has given me an unfair advantage in the weight loss campaign. Monitoring. I am constantly aware of the level of glucose in my bloodstream. I know what any food I consider eating will do to it. I can decide whether or not to eat something because I know exactly what I might have to do during the rest of the day or night to adjust the level of glucose as a result of eating it.

I have friends (one in particular), who are not diabetic but who have a lot of trouble losing weight. (as in, they just can't, no matter what they do.) I believe it's largely because they're not diabetic that they have so much trouble. Each has such a robust pancreas that the insulin they put out to cover the high carb meals they eat tells the liver to make fat with a vengeance.

I tell them to go out and buy Dr. B's book and buy a glucometer with it. Even if they're not diabetic, just pretend that they are.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:14

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

c6h6o3--That is a great idea for us overweight non diabetics. I have been pleased with the results I have achieved on the Atkins diet, but have times when the weight loss slows. It might be a good idea for me to check my blood glucose at those times to see if I am taking in hidden carbs. Thanks for the idea. By the way--what does c6h6o3 stand for ??? Aleka