Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:04

Plan: ww
Stats: 157/150/130
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Anti Depressants

Hi everyone,

I plan on starting the Atkins diet on Monday, but I am currently on an SSRI and do not plan on not taking it as suggested in the book. Is anyone else currently on an SSRI while doing this diet, and have you been successful on it? Any comments would be great.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:19

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I am taking one and have still lost weight. Maybe more slowly than some, but am still losing just the same. Just make sure you don't stop taking your meds without consulting your doctor! That can be dangerous.

Once I lose some more weight, my doctor and I plan on investigating a more natural alternative to manage my depression.

Take care!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:22
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I am on an SSRI...and I am sure as heck not going to risk my health and well-being by not taking it. I am on it for life and I think I am doing pretty well with this WOE.

One nice result: My SSRI used to make me crave carbs so badly that I would get up in the middle of the night and eat a half-sleeve of saltine crackers to satisfy it. But now, I can honestly say that the cravings are nearly gone (it's still challenging to walk through the bakery department of the grocery store! But I think that's a challenge for most people!)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:32

Plan: ww
Stats: 157/150/130
BF:
Progress: 26%

I agree and that's why I will continue to take it. I totally relate to the carb craving on those pills, it's terrible but it does help. I guess I can give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks so much for your input.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202.5/177.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I went off

I did talk to my doctor about going off the anti-depressent. So far, so good. I don't think I would've gained all the weight in the first place if I wouldn't have started on them. I'm now walking a couple of miles a day and I think that is releasing the seratonins (sp) I need. At any rate, the weight is coming off, no trouble with depression - but I miss some of the wild dreams I had while taking them.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 04:14
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default hello

I take Zoloft and have not attributed any lack of weight loss/gain to them...maybe because when depressed I gain so much...that when on SSRI I experience appitite reduction.

I don't like having depression but I do and so taking my meds right now is an important part of taking good care of myself so i continue

I also take Depo Provera which is associated with weight gain and slower weight loss...but again being pregnant sure causes a massive weight gain for me...so i have decided for me that this is whats right for me

When It comes to meds only you an dyour doctor can make the decision on whether to discontinue taking them or not...for me its a thing I need to keep doing
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 06:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I also take Depo Provera which is associated with weight gain and slower weight loss..

Depo contains progesterone only, no estrogen. The reason it causes some people to gain weight is that it increases carb cravings. It won't make you retain the weight like estrogen will. I wa sure to talk to my OB about it when I got it. I don't want to fight to lose it, only to have it come back.

With Atkins I already had my carb cravings under control so I had no weight gain with depo and I don't belive it contributes to my sometimes slower loss. I've gone down almost 13 pounds in the last month.