Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 06:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/156/140
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Whoa, what a shock...Could it be...

I’m in my 6 week of Induction. The first 2 weeks started off great with me losing 9 pounds and feeling better. The 3rd week was a disappointment up 2 pounds, started feeling lousy again, but it was TOM so I chilled. 4th week, still the scale didn’t budge so I started investigating and stopped eating nuts and sugar free jello which I had started week 3. So, the scale nudged in the right direction, felt a little better, but still disappointed in my results. Checked into some other slowdown reasons and cut way back on the cheese and calories. Yeah, now down 11 pounds. Went to the store yesterday to get some more sugar free Metamucil, which I had started the 3rd week to help things along. While reading the label, my eyes glanced over the inactive ingredients and to my shock I saw Aspartame. Ahhhh! So, that’s most likely where my problem has been. I just called a hotline number for Benefiber, which I bought yesterday instead of Metamucil, and there is no Aspartame in it. So, hopefully my weight loss will pick back up now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 07:30
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya TractorGal!

Seems like you have a great grasp on things...Good Job! 11 Pounds is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Certainly better then what you had before...and you are getting sooo many other health benefits besides! Super!

You might try the Pysillium Husk powder. I bought mine at GNC in the Mall...only need to use it 2 times so far...and it works great and "natural". No Sugars or aspartame as it is all natural.

Of course...keep that water up!

Great idea to drop the nuts too. I have read many times of them stalling folk's if taken too soon...and if you wish to remain in Phase one...should not have em ...Not untill later in phase 2.

The aspartame seems to be a biggy too. I don't know if I am one of those who cannot take it...and I am not risking it. There are plenty of alternatives that are very good tasting anyway.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
Best to all;
Jake
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:45

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Good that you found out that information

The other thing, though is that reading through the threads and journals here, you'll find that everyone has a slow down after the first few weeks of induction, and that is normal, so don't drive yourself nuts (no pun intended) trying to find what may cause you to slow down, if you're sticking right to the program and not "overdoing" it on nuts and cheese and cream, it's most likely just your body having a pause and that is very common. Just stick to it and the weight will come off, but not nice and even each week.

Have a look at my records below, I'm now down a total of 31 pounds, but not losing everyweek as you can see.

Good Luck Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 09:48.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:23

Stats: 161/148.5/148
BF:
Progress: 96%

I thought the problem with aspertame is the health concern (may cause cancer?). Do I have this wrong?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I thought the problem with aspertame is the health concern (may cause cancer?).

I think that's saccrine in swee & low
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:41
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

This is a great loss. This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:55

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Way to go!!! You should be very proud of yourself

Damselfly, DANDR had something in it about this along the lines of "the reason why is not yet known, but aspartame has been known to cause slow downs in weight loss, etc...." I'm quoting from memory and my memory isn't the best, so you may want to look it up for yourself. I think its in the Induction chapter, or the chapter that gives Induction menus.

L
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:22

Stats: 170/156/140
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Looks like that might have been the reason

Looks like Aspartame may be a big staller for me. Two days of not having any aspartame (now that I know it's in sugar free Metamucil) I had my first whoosh - down 3 pounds. Might be coincidence, might not be. I'm going to be extra careful reading labels now and calling 800 numbers for product info if I'm not sure.

Also, thanks to all for the support and great information. This board has been great. I have to confess, I just bought the right book 2 days ago (DADR). I had bought FFL by mistake 2 weeks ago. I just need some reading time. So this board and Atkins website have been a great asset.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Fiber

Hi!
My biggest problem with LC WOE is not enough fiber even with lots of veggies. I think when I was eating so much more my body just got used to moving a lot of bulk through it. I struggled with handling this for several months, then saw a post here about a pure psyllium product called Konsyl. You can find it at Wal Mart.
At first I tried it and nearly gagged and thought I could never use it. However, I learned I was mixing it too thick in tempid water... BLAHHHH! Now, I drink it usually twice a day in smaller but significant amounts. I have a small single cup drink mixer and I first put a very cold Splenda drink (we have one here named Napa, in peach or cherry. Diet Hansens works too. Or you can use the Splenda sweetened syrups.). Then I add the fiber and then thin it all with more cold water. All of it is mixed and swirled in the little cup mixer and down the hatch quite easily. Generally, sense only a sweet, cold thick taste.
I love this solution for me as it keeps me feeling great and also fills me up very full, so sometimes I take it after eating a fat without a lot of fiber.
I also buy Benefiber and add it to all my hot drinks (teas). It is completely tasteless and colorless and is just another way to get a bit more fiber. (It;s great, but alone not enough for me as it is only soluable.) Also the low carb tortillas, on regular shelf with tortillas here have lots of fiber.
This little item, Konsyl, has been the secret of success with the fiber problem for me. I tried Metamuciel at first but hated all the additives. Konsyl has nothing else added. I think maybe we could get this same thing in another form or brand at a health food store etc. but Walmart is an easy place for me to grab it for now. Not cheap tho... around $14 a large bottle, which lasts awhile and keeps me happy!
Anyone esle use it, or know of a cheaper similar psyllium source as easy to dissolve?
I see on this site that some people take fiber pills, but I can't imagine they have all the punch of a glass of this...hmmmm?
OK Hope that may help. I know everyone has to find their own way to twek and use these things.
Cheers,
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:03
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Fiber is great to have in addition to veggies. Great advice!

I take psyllum husk capsules though (can't drink it ) and I think it is quite helpful.