Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/160/160
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Teeth health with Atkins

Hello everyone, its been a while,
I have a question about teeth, being on the low-carb diet. My teeth do not seem as bright and white as they use to, and I take this to be so because of the lack of calcium in the body. I know ketosis depletes calcium, but is this the reason for having duller teeth? I have always heard "what is bad for your teeth is bad for your health and happiness". Answers to this problem would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 19:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%

Well - I don't know about the ketosis and calcium depletion but according to my hygienist the LC diet has increased the amount of tartar that builds up on my teeth... solution= i switched to a tartar controlled tooth paste & floss. Teeth are still shiny!

Do you drink sodas, tea, or coffee? that could dull your teeth... i drink coffee & tea through a straw that way the liquid doesn't brush over the front of my teeth. so far, it seems to do the trick.

Hope this helps, viv
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:57

Stats: 235/208/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Try brushing 1 or 2 times a week with baking soda and toothpaste. I always get compement s on my teeth how white and shiny they are and I am a coffee drinker and smoker! I always have done this and LC ing hasn't dulled my teeth yet!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 21:39
Registered Member

Stats: 212/172/168
BF:
Progress: 91%

Call me crazy, but I would have thought cutting out sugar would be extremely good for your teeth. It may not help their colour but it should help prevent caries and gum disease.