Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Call Sesame Street! I can't count!!

Pardon me for being a retard, but I have a dumb question....

What exactly is the countable carbs in an Atkins chocolate/peanut butter bar? The front of the package says "3g Net Carb", but the nutrition label just doesn't add up.

I guess I just haven't gotten the subtracting thing down. I know to subtrat the fiber, but how do you know what other things you can subtract? I know that there are some carbs that don't have an impact on insulin levels, but how do you know how many of those are in a package of something?

Honestly, I've read and re-read about this and I still don't get it.

So, basically my question is: How many carbs do I count for the Atkins bar and how did you come to that conclusion?

Thanks!!

~Angi~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:54

Stats: 195/186/130
BF:
Progress: 14%

ok, i don't have all the facts on this, but supposedly, any carbs that are unaccounted for are supposed to be considered as sugar alcohols which have minimal impact on blood sugar, so they are not included in the net carbs count. the thing is when i used the atkins bars, i was stalled for about 2 weeks, plus the sugar alcohols made my stomach hurt. so if you notice that you're still losing steadily, then you can continue to use the bars because it means that the sugar alcohols don't have any impact on your blood sugar. in that case you can count the net carbs for each bar as 2g or 3g, depending on the type of bar you're eating. but personally, i'm staying away from those, at least for now. hope this helps! goodluck!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 23:04
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question I'm stumped to

Good ????? Angi !!! I have been stumped on this too but never asked.....glad you did. Sure hope we get some good answers. What do u do subtract all the fiber in anything and take it off the carbs????? This stuff confuses me. When I've seen these low carb bars they have like 27 grams of carbs and I never bought one.... I was like no way too much....lol !!! So anyways please somebody help with this !!!

We can do this together !!!

Support = Success

Traci
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 00:14
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Read the Wrapper!

Somewhere on the wrapper in fine print it explains how they arrived at the lower effective carbs. I don't have one on hand right now to look at it. My DD, who is also on Atkins, read it to me when we were sharing one once. I don't remember what things they were deducting, but sugar alcohol sounds reasonable.

Barb
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 06:06
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Here is some information on this topic:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 06:43

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thanks for all of the info! I THINK I might understand it now. LOL. I think that article explained it far bettter than anything I've read so far.

One more quick question about it....

Do I only have to worry about these things (the "ol's") in the "sugar free" products or should I look for them in everything? The article seems to suggest that they are mostly confined to the sugar free foods.

BTW, I had my first Atkins bar. Um....no need to worry about me abusing them. LOL.

~Angi~
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 06:46
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I think the "ols" are pretty much limited to sugar free things. All kinds of companies are coming out with sugar free products-Herseys, Russell Stover...