Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/190/120
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default After Fat Fast?

I just finished the fat fast and now I am on the 1200 calorie fat fast. Hard but worth it. I have two questions. Is it possible to be in ketosis and NOT lose weight? Are there any folks who remained on a 1200 calorie daily Atkins. I may need to do it at 1200 since I am resistant and am looking for advice and encouragement. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Is it possible to be in ketosis and NOT lose weight?

If you're using ketostix as the only indication the answer is yes. They measure dietary fat as well. You know you're in ketosis by the taste in your mouth.

I'm asking this question out of concern. It appears that you have lost fat and have been low-carbing for less than a month. How do you know that you are metabolically resistant and need to be on a fat fast?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/163/141 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Taste in your mouth? Please explain.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 20:57

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

When you are in true ketosis you will notice a slight sweet taste in your mouth. For me it is usually first thing in the morning or after taking a drink of water. Personally, I think that it tastes a little like Splenda sweetener. (A very toned down version of it). Also, I get very warm at the same time every day when I'm in ketosis. Even when it's 50 degrees outside. My face gets flushed and my hands are very warm. To me, it's like a feverish feeling but without the chills or icky feeling. It's warm and fuzzy. LOL

~Angi~
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 21:31

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi there,
I personally don't experience a sweet taste. The taste i get in my mouth is very metalic - think what it tastes like if you get a little bit of blood in your mouth...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 22:16

Plan: atkins 20-30 carbs
Stats: 164/155/125 Female 61
BF:30%/?/?
Progress: 23%

I felt that warm feeling for the first time today, It felt like hot flashes. My arms got hot as well as my face. I even got the shivers, had to get a sweater. Well, thats good, at least I know I'm not coming down with something.

You can also tell if you're in ketosis by the smell of your urine. It smells strong but I cant explain it. Maybe someone else can describe it better.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 04:44

BF:
Default Fat Fast

I only lost 4 lbs during induction. The book advises the fat fast in this situation. Thanks for the ketosis information. I am looking now for folks who remain on induction, but do it at around 1200 calories. Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:03
Registered Member

Stats: 213/213/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Induction

I went off this plan (due to great amounts of fatigue) over a year ago and have been on a LF diet (Weight Watchers) and am back on induction. I am not going into Ketosis. The strips are negative with one day (two days ago) a trace. I have a meat and cheese taste in my mouth (what I normally would call Atkins mouth).

My scale hasn't budged one ounce.

I'd like to hear about your fat fast. Did you eat the items in the Dr. A book or come up with your own. Did you Fat Fast 5 days or what?

I'm waiting for an appointment w/ Dr to get paperwork for Blood Work. It takes over a month to get a DR appointment with HMO for a consult.

Karen - any resources? I've re-read most of the book. I've checked the atkins center website. I've ordered more supplements. I've got other posts around with my sample menus. And I'm darn tired! My kids are worried cause I'm crabby again.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:20

BF:
Default Fat Fast

I went on the fat fast after only losing 4 lbs on induction. I followed the book religiously and lost 5 lbs. I am now on the 1200 calorie fat fast and have lost another 2 lbs. I was more hungry on the 1200 calorie one but I think that is because I am just wearing out on macadamia nuts and brie.
I followed the book each time eligiously

I am anxious to get back to regular induction. But I am concerned because it appear to me that I am fairly resistant and will need to do induction for awhile and watch the calories. I would like some help from you more experienced folks about how to do induction, enjoy it and still stay in a fairly low calorie count. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Help!!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:13

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

Your profile indicates that you started lc'ing on 5/3. Your stats show that you have lost 20 pounds. This does not indicate that you are metabolicly resistant. You have lost a lot of weight especially percentage wise. I am concerned that you body may go into the dreaded "starvation mode' with a prolonged 1200 calories!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Stats: 213/213/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Clarifying my start date and history.

DCBROWNE
My mistake - I did not to correct those numbers or verify how they happened. I was on the plan previously and dropped 20 #. I've put some on since being off the plan. It has been since November 2001 since I was LCing. At my homeopath's suggestion I went off the plan due to fatigue and went on a fruit and veggie w/ little meat diet. From there I went Weight Watchers. And now back to what I know (knew) works. I went back on induction on 5/13.

My carbs are between 10-20g per day (I did not subtract fiber). My fat is low - at about 55-65%. Calories average 1700 per day. I started consuming olives and using olive oil for salad dressing to increase my fat intake.

I am second week of induction and not one ounce is lost. My history on this plan (as I've started and stoped three times now since 1998) is 4+ pounds in the first week and another 4+ pounds the second.

I'm feeling older, I've lost more muscle mass, I'm easily exhausted, I've had more fatigue and mood swings, I've also stoped drinking coffee and alcohol since 2001. The weight I've gained, I gained since I quit smoking late 1997. I was a little over weight when I quit at 153 #.

I will see what the weight lost is at induction end, but a this rate, without a big whoosh, it looks as though I'm resistant.

Again, advice and support would be appreciated.

~Mary
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 17:59

BF:
Default Lower Calorie Induction

I think the book is very clear about the fat fast. There is a chart to check about weight lost during induction. I don't think folks should be afraid of it. Don't stay on it more than 5 days. Then do the 1200 for a week. I have been extremely resistant to this diet in general. But if you are going to do it, then it seems to me that going by the book makes sense. I am coming to the end of the 1200 calorie fat fast and I didn't lose that much during this week, and I am tired, but I feel pretty good in general.
I would ask again, however, that folks respond to my request for keeping the calories low during induction. I am concerned because it is clear to me that I have a resistance and I want this diet to work but am not sure how to do meals low calorie.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:32

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

How could you be resistant joy? You lost 20 pounds in no time. I think you were just looking for a faster way to lose weight. If you lose a pound you are not resistant. Resistance is losing none. You can hurt yourself doing the fat fast when you are not really resistant.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 15:58

BF:

Please re-read. I have lost 9 lbs. over the past 5 weeks. I would like folks to listen, rather than poking holes at my request. This is frustrating. I know myself. I am resistant. I have had to pull every trick in the Atkins book to get started. Hopefully, I am there. Instead of arguing with me about whether I am resistant or not, please accept that I am and I have read everything I can get my hands on and there is no doubt. However, what I am searching for on this board are other folks who are like me and recognize that they may need to do Atkins on high fat, low carbs AND low calories. I'd like some guidance on this one because I don't want to go off of this thing and want to do it right. Please help, stop judging and confronting. Thanks. Sorry to be grumpy folks, but.............
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 16:44
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 245/261/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -25%

joygo

i am also resistant i started lc induction in march and didn't loose any my name thing over there says i lost 3 pounds but what it doesn't say is that i went up 8 pounds during the 4 weeks i did induction that is when i found this websight and i thought i could figure out what is wrong with me

well i am still trying and thought i would try a fat fast this morning and was looking for some one who may have had success well i got a nice answer to my post from someone who sounded experienced and read the journal i started back in april

she said [AngelaR] if i would post my menu that they would look at it and see where i can improve my induction
another left a post saying i wasn't getting enough calories and i was also getting about 1200 caleries which i understand is what the fat fast is but i totally blew induction if i was supposed to get more than 1200 calories.

i would like to visit your journal but couldn't locate through search did you start one. please feel free to read mine open to any help i can get
hope to hear from you

talkercise