Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 16:17

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Angry Must Read About Doctors Scales.......

I notice alot of people not being able to get weighed at thier Doctors because the scale only goes up to 350 pounds.
That is bull**it! Sorry so angry but I know how it is. Any reputable Dr. will have either tip weights (weights that they all to those crappy old scales) so they can weigh people over 350 pounds or a modern digital scale that weighs anyone!
My old Doctor (a real loser) didn't have tip weights and I told him basically I wasn't important enough to have tip weights for!
They can order them easily enough.
You really need to DEMAND they get tip weights, tell them that
you and every other person over 350 pounds deserves to NOT
be embarrassed because thier scales are dinosaurs.
Also you could suggest they come into the 21st century and spring for a digital scale like modern offices have.
I'm sure they make PLENTY of money to afford one.
SORRY FOR THE RANT! Being at 500 pounds and now 460 (thanks Atkins!) I have delt with these holier than thou doctors all my life and you have to be very aggressive with your healthcare because YOU have to watch out for YOU!
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:12

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

You're right to feel outraged, Nibby! I have a friend who was over 400 lbs and his doctor suggested he go to a freight (trucking) company and see if they would let him weigh himself on one of their industrial freight scales!

Can you imagine the insensitivity of that clod? My friend told him to go do things to himself that are physically impossible.

My friend did end up getting surgery and has lost over 175 lbs so far, but he's had quite a time with the side effects.

But...you know what they call the dumbest guy in med school who graduates at the bottom of the class? ....DOCTOR!
This just illustrates there are dingleberry doctors like there are in all walks of life!

Good for you for standing up for yourself!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi,,

I dont know why I am amazed at the way doctors act. I feel like they couldnt care less about their patients ( most doctors, not all) as long as the insurance company pays up and they can push more drugs down us so they can get that cruise to the Bahamas from the drug company for writing 1000 prescriptions for anti depressants or whatever. I think it is time people took the control back and tell these doctors that we demand to be treated fairly and without prejudice...I think such incidents should be reported to the medical board....if a psychiatrist can be reported for abusing their patients isnt that what doctors are doing...mentally abusing their patients. Ok, am done ranting now...but dont have much faith in the medical community as a whole. Thank goodness neither does my doctor (there are a few good one left out there)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:25

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

WOW I'm glad your friend told him off!
I'm sad your friend had drastic surgery. Wish he would have tired Atkins first.
I had a doctor encourage me to do that I and told her "no thanks"
I would be trading one set of problems for MUCH worse and perment ones. She said "oh.......really" than raised her eyebrow at me and walked out with her witch shoes. Honestly she wore shoes that were black, super spiky and pointed just like a witch in a movie!
I now have a great person that takes care of my medical needs
and she is just incredible!
My mom had a friend that had the surgery and yes she lost weight but she is forever on supplements and it took a real toll on her body. To this day she just isn't "right" physically and pays for that choice with each meal. I feel bad for her.
Don't tell your friend this, don't want him to feel bad.

Yes doctors need to learn a good bedside manner, my mom battled cancer for 6 years before she died and I went to many many appointments with her. The doctors SUCKED. No empathy for these very sick people.
If you get paid that much per visit you should DO A BETTER JOB!
Sorry I'm venting again:-)
I am really not this angry all the time *s*