Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Came across this article

Hi - I just came across this article about LC dieting - Exposing Myths and Realities. Thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

Vikki

http://prodigy.healthology.com/focu...ruthlowcarddiet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:05

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Very nice Vikki. This will come in very handy - I love links!

Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:12

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Very concise, sensibly written explanation.
Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Thanks Vikki - Good article!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:50

Plan: LOWER CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stats: 150/131/138 Female 5ft4inches
BF:
Progress: 158%

thanx vikki, printed it all off soo i can read at my leisure!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 12:56

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Glad everyone enjoyed, it's nice to find these things that reinforce this WOL.

Vikki
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:04
Registered Member

Stats: 215/205/135
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks Vikki....Great article!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 07:15

Plan: Lo-carb/calorie counting
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

In this article, he says that ketosis is the process of breaking down muscle protein. I found that statement disturbing, since that is not my aim. Also, he refers to ketosis as a gimmick that eventually ceases to work. I am really hoping he is wrong and my assessment of what ketosis is and does, is correct.

Anyone have any light to shed on this?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 11:38

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Default What is ketosis?

That was the one statement in the article that jarred me. Benign dietary ketosis (as opposed to diabetic ketoacidosis) is the result of incompletely burning fat for energy (ketones are the actual leftovers). It is not a gimmick, just a physiological process. It is theoretically possible to eat a low-carb diet, use fat for fuel, lose weight and never be in ketosis. Most people's bodies, however, are not highly efficient at metabolizing fat, especially at the beginning of a low-carb WOE; hence, they produce ketones.

Most bodies will accustom themselves to using fats for fuel -- that's why a low-carb diet can work in the long term. A body, once accustomed to using fats for fuel, will eventually find some new weight set point, if one has been losing weight. That's true, however, for any weight/fat loss plan.

Cannabilizing muscle protein for fuel occurs only when there is not enough protein in the diet to meet intense or sustained energy demands (say, from exercise); it's easier for the body to get energy quickly from protein than fats.

Unfortunately, most people will lose *some* muscle (the amount varies) as well as fat on a low-carb diet. Adequate dietary protein minimizes that amount. Resistance training will thicken existing muscles, counteracting the loss from the diet.

Last edited by acohn : Fri, May-09-03 at 11:44.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 17:59

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking

Thanks for sharing-good article, I'm going to give it to a co-worker who is interested-
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 18:10

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Acohn
There was a posting a few days ago about a recent 6 month trial with women participating, I quote.

Recently reported following a 6 month study. As reported in Medscape Medical News.

53 healthy obese female volunteers with mean body mass index of 33.6 (± 0.3) kg/m2 were randomized to six months of either an ad libitum very low carbohydrate diet or a calorie-restricted diet with 30% of the calories as fat; 42 women (79%) completed the trial.

Both groups reduced caloric intake by comparable amounts at three and six months. Compared with the low-fat diet group, the low-carbohydrate diet group lost more weight (8.5 ± 1.0 vs. 3.9 ± 1.0 kg; P < .001) and more body fat (4.8 ± 0.67 vs. 2.0 ± 0.75 kg; P < .01).

Mean levels of blood pressure, lipids, fasting glucose, and insulin were within normal ranges in both groups at baseline and improved during the study, but there were no differences between the two groups at three or six months. Beta-hydroxybutyrate increased significantly in the low-carbohydrate group at three months (P = .001)indicating ketosis, but normalised at 6 months.

Would this support your point that ketosis kicks in and then fades away as the body finds other ways to obtain its nourishment ??
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 18:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Ketosis is actually what happens to your body when it is starving and your body begins to break down muscle protein

While he has a great article there, he's sadly mistaken on this, even anti low-carb folks don't say that.

Quote:
The whole process of muscle protein catabolism and liver gluconeogenesis is regulated principally by glucocorticosteroids and glucagon and a relative lack of insulin. Early in fasting glycogen reserves are depleted, and protein (mainly from muscle) becomes the major source of carbon for glucose production. Glucose is required in substantial amounts by blood cells and the central nervous system on a daily basis. There is also an initiation of ketone body production by the liver to provide a more water soluble form of fat-derived fuel.
Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism: with clinical applications", Maria C. Linder

More reading here: http://www.lowcarbretreat.com/ketosis.html

For more detailed explanation on all things ketosis, check here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...3689#post383689

Wa'il
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 04:48
Registered Member

Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thank you I am printing it our to read it all later very interesting.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 08:15

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

That is a strange article... hmmm have to think about it some I guess...
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 08:56

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Ketosis is merely a byproduct of the body's breaking down fats fot fuel. No matter how you reduce your body fat, except liposuction, the long chain fatty acids are broken into ketones for burning. If you stay on a low carb diet, your body may get more efficient at this process and you may not show the higher concentrations of ketones in the urine, but the metabolic advantage of low carb does not disappear. Atkins, in his practice, did not use urine to measure ketones, but the breath.
If carbs are available in sufficient quantities, the body will not break into it's fat reserve, which is why high carb diets require such drastic calorie reductions to work. Also, without the carbs, the insulin cycle doesn't get strated, making it hard to gain body fat. Low carb, because it contains adequate protein, does not cause the body to break down muscle tissue to make glucogen. Tests have shown that muscle loss is much less in low carb diets.
Ketoacidosis is the breaking down of muscle tissue and it can be fatal to diabetics, ketosis is the breaking down of long chain fatty acids nto ketones, which is a preferred fuel for the brain and other organs.
More info is available in Dr. Mary Enig's book "Know Your Fats." and on the www.westonaprice.org site. Nyah Levi