Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 15:35

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default Atkins Products, too expensive or just right

I just went to my local health food store, I only tried Walmart that only has these carb bars, Keto brand...it was like 22 carbs and I'm on 25. It was about $8 for Walmart. So, I went to the Natural foods store and they had a whole area for Atkins. I was shocked though by the prices...1 loaf of bread was $7.99, cookies/candy clusters were $3.99. The baking mix was $7.99 and the pancake mix was like $4.99.

I haven't tried this other health food store but that's about all that's here in East Tenn. I'm shocked they have that! I don't think though that I could spend alot of money buying products, but I do want some normalcy in my eating habits...like tortillas, bread, pancakes and biscuits...only low-carb.

Does anyone buy the Atkins brands or do you just do without?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/221/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

I dont know if it is really expencive. I found some low carb candy at walmart that had 0.1 carbs but it is 1.00 per small bar.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 204/175/120
BF:
Progress: 35%

hi leasmom, I agree with you- Atkins food is priced way TO HIGH-at least for my pocketbook! However our walmart has Atkins bars for 96 cents and 1.78 and low carb chips and our local GNC and VItamin World shops carry Atkins cheaper than the prices you quoted and that still looked HIGH to me, so what can you do?
Read the recipes on this web site and many others like it-there are lots of very good recipes-if you want something special-ask and someone here will help you-my son and I made a deep dish pizza tonite for the first time and it really tasted good-like real pizza-I found the recipe here and am amazed!

take time to read the recipes ,
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:53

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
That is high. It may be your area. I get Atkins bread for $4.99 a loaf and keep it in the freezer. It lasts me 2 weeks. The baking mix was the same price. I order Atkins and Keto products from netrition.com. They are the cheapest I have ever found. I feel the products are worth the money. They keep me sane.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:29

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default What states are you in?

I'll be moving to Colorado at the end of May, my sister says that Atkins is at the Army's commissary, so she could get it for me for cheap. I am going on a trip, if it doesn't rain, this weekend camping with friends. I want to stick to my diet. I am buying the bread for everyone, but I want to have my own bread as well, and chips and candy. Our walmarts candy was from $1.68 to $2.69, and it was 22 carbs. I had a candy bar today...atkins-3.8 carbs and it was $1.68 at the Natural Food's store.

I would love that recipe for the pizza dough, also pancakes, and biscuits. I'll be buying the baking mix, but not now. I think some chips, cookies and bread will due for the weekend to keep me from cheating on the diet.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 204/175/120
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi, Leasmom,
I am in Gettysburg, PA . check the front of the wrapper on Atkins bars-the have a net carb number and that is what you count.

here is the recipe I found on this forum-from Donald and it was honestly good.

Deep Dish Pizza

4or 5 large eggs
4 oz softened cream cheese
1/3 c heavy cream
1/4 c grated parmesean
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning or pizza seasoning
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese for bottom
2 cups more for top
1/2 to 1 c pizza sauce-find the lowest carb
toppings to taste-pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, peppers,sausage, etc..

Beat cream cheese, and eggs till smooth, add cream, parm.cheese, and spices

pour into greased gass baking dish 13x9 and bake ~ 350 for 30 min-take out an add sauce and toppings cover with cheese and bake again 15-20 min.

enjoy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:13
Registered Member

Stats: 273/252/155
BF:
Progress: 18%

Do you know how many carbs this pizza recipe is? Im still on induction by choice and Im wondering if this is over 25gms of carbs?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 273/252/155
BF:
Progress: 18%

I agree. Some of the Atkins products are pretty expensive. I checked at GNC and a health store around me and the prices were around the same as yours. I did decide to get the pancakes, syrup and potato chips. Im pretty sure I wont get the chips anymore because I found out about pork rinds (yum)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

There is no doubt that Atkins products are expensive.

I recall when I first began, I went out and bought some Atkins shakes, and some bars and some bake mix, etc, because I thought I needed those things to be successful.

I didn't. I never ate any of them. Try giving the program a chance using regular foodstuffs. I mean, why pay $8 for a loaf of Atkins bread when your actually trying to delete bread from your life as much as possible? I feel the same way about candies and shakes and all the rest.

But that's just my .o2.

Good luck!

Donald
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:36
Registered Member

Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

To get $80 worth of Atkins products for $10 do the following:
1: sign up for 3 different hotmail accounts
2: log on to www.vitaminshoppe.com and sign up for an account and then refer your second email account in the referral box.
3: Log off and check your email for your 2nd email account. There should be a referral from vitamin shoppe from your first email account with a $10 credit if you spend $40. Click on that link and sign up for an account with this 2nd email account. Mention the first email account as the person who referred you and refer your 3rd email account.
4: Log off and check your 3rd email account for a referral. Click the link and mention the 2nd email account as the person who referred you. This will give you a $10 credit on this account. Now put $40 worth of Atkins stuff in your basket and check out. On the check out page put in the following coupon codes: 1001, 3689, and 5734 This will give you $30 off your $40 purchase. At the same time, this will give your 2nd email account a $10 credit. Finalize purchase and log off.
5: Log on under your 2nd email account and make a $40 Atkins purchase. You already have a $10 credit in there for the purchase you made on the 3rd account. Now eneter the same three coupon codes, and you get $40 credit for the $40 purchse. You only pay for shipping.

I know it is a bit of work, but it is legal and gets you $80 worth of stuff for $10. Worth the effort.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:16

Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Atkins products

I recently purchased bread and bake mix from atkins center. very expensive but my hubby really wanted bread. It was ok but I can see that there may be a problem with portion control. I agree with Donald 100% about why put back things into your diet that probably cause problems. I have been learning to make due with normal foods and find it to be satisfying. I wont be ordering any more bread.

good luck

Nanci
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 276.2/276.2/140 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

The Atkins products are just way too expensive.

Having said that, I do buy the ready-made canned shakes regularly. I like the convenience and the 'quick' breakfast I get from these.

I bought some of the baking mix and I still have it in the cupboard. I use it only occasionally as an additive to a recipe that I use. Otherwise, the soy taste is just not very good.

I have also purchased some of the sauces: teriyaki and bbq and steak sauce. I do like these and they last a long time so yo don't mind paying so much for these.

I have gotten in to the creative side of cooking things myself, instead of buying them. I save money and I get to try little experiments in my kitchen. It really is great fun. I have tried several of the recipes here on this site and on many other sites and I buy a new low carb cookbook about once every other month for fun.