Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/145/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default no loss...can't figure it out

I've been very patient. This is week NINE and no loss. I did Induction for 2 weeks, am now on 25 carbs/day. I drink lots of water, always have. Average calories per day are 1300-1400.
This forum has suggested cutting Aspertame, caffiene, alcohol, cheese and I have done all this. I exercise every day. This is the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I have a very small frame, and for most of the last 20 years have weighed 125-130 pounds. I gain some weight every winter, and start to lose it in the spring, but not this time. I have never yoyo dieted, just ate less and got more active and that always worked. I am in peri-menopause.

Is there any hope for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:36

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Hi there - this could be my post, except for the peri-men part. Small frame, lost about a pound and a half on induction, and nothing since. I'm going to stick to this thread and read all the responses that come your way! I wish us both good luck...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:40
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

It is very normal to go through what is refered to a post induction stall. But are you saying that you have had no loss at all in the nine weeks?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:44

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:

What about your measurements? Have you lost any inches?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:44

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

I've seen other similr posts, and my guess is that since this poster does not have much to lose, the pounds are being extra stubborn.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:48

BF:

Thanks for responding so fast. My first week I lost 3 pounds and my clothes felt looser, then I gained it back in week 4. I feel terrible. Half my clothes don't fit and I'm going on vacation to the ocean next week.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:04
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Now I guess we are going to have to see a good sample of your daily menu's. Its like putting a puzzle together
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:30

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Unhappy Nine weeks

First off, good for you for giving this a try. My guess is since you cut all the stuff that people say stalls them you have also been religious about counting those carbs.
I have been frustrated myself and comparing this span of time to other times when I lost this much weight and much quicker by counting calories and exercising, but I gained it back and thats why I am doing this Atkins thing!
If you had just cut calories and burned an extra 500 calories a day you would have lost the little amount you want to by now.
My bet is the three pounds during induction was water weight and thats why you gained it back.
I read the book and looked on his webpage and he says to stay on induction for as long as you want to lose the weight. He also says that some people are so resistant they need to stay under 15 carbs a day to burn anything.
He also asks:
Are you taking any medication?
Do you have a thyroid problem?

Those are the basic questions.
You have so little to lose I think just more exercise and restricting carbs/calories could get you there by the time you want to be ! This Atkins is not a speed diet unless you are extremely overweight and/or a man.
There is plenty of hope out there for you because you had the strength to go NINE WEEKS
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 06:46

BF:

Thanks again for all your help. Here is a typical day.

2 deviled eggs
2 slices bacon (Smithfield no sugar, low sodium)
1/2 cup coffee (4 ounces)
1/2 packet Splenda
1/2 ounce cream

4 ounce sirloin
2 cups lettuce
1 tblsp vinegarette (olive oil, vinegar, herbs)

14 almonds

4 ounces baked chicken
1 cup steamed broccoli
1 pat butter

That's it!

Oh yeah, 1 multivitamin, 1200 mg calcium, black cohosh for hot flashes. (really helps)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 07:40
Registered Member

Stats: 214/200/135
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm no expert but:

Also, check your ingredients on deviled eggs. Does your mayo have carbs and you're not adding any sweet relish. Some spices have sugar addied so be careful. And check that you are using the right kind of vinegar.

You might be very carb sensitive and need to drop down your carb level to 20 or lower. And remember to add only one new item a week.

Losing weight is really hard for me too. I've just started taking the black cohosh and hope it works soon.

Best of luck!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 07:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Have you plugged your food into fitday to see what the calorie count and fat percentage are? Maybe a little more fat would tip the balance for you.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 08:29

BF:

Yes, I used FItday and calculated 1300 calories, 65 percent fat and 35 percent protein.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 08:50
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Just some suggestions, try if you like.

Cut the nuts.

Add in more green veggies, especially to your salad.

Add fats and calories.

When lower carbs and calories and fat aren't helping you lose weight, maybe, just maybe, more of each will help.

Depending on how strenous your exercising is, you may be having too few calories for your expenditure, making your body hang on to it's fat.

You also may have gained some lean muscle mass, have you taken your measurements? You did say your clothes weren't fitting better but sometimes you can lose in strange places.

Eating less and getting more active may have resulted in losing lean muscle mass. You may be getting some muscle back as a result of eating adequate protein.

So many variable, so little time.

How about weight lifting?

Beth
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:24

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, I tend to agree with Beth, to me you simply are not eating enough. Try adding a bit more through out the day, like a ham and cheese roll up, avocado.

Cheers Kathy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:30

BF:

Thanks folks, I'll give it a go!