Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Now I Weigh a Little, Used to Weigh A Lot But I'm Still Bethy From The Block...

Well, I just returned from a 3 week vacation to the West coast visiting family and friends and what a high that was! Having neglected to mention over the phone and via e-mails the 60+ pounds I have dropped over the last year, all of my near and dear were literally shocked and awed by my transformation and very vocal about the postive changes in my shape and atittude.

As a woman who has spent way too much time as the fat girl occasionaly forgotten in many social situations, the attention and praise were most uplifting. Before this lifestyle change I did not like to hear compliments and felt uncomfortable when others commented (even postively) on my physical appearence. Usually, I negated compliments with a self deprecating wisecrack or quickly changed the subject in order to avoid acknowledgment. This time, however, I listened and responded with grace. I was able to appreciate and honor the spirit in which such kind words were given.

While I did eat, drink and get merry while on holiday, I have already resumed my regular low carb WOE motivated by such a positive boost to my at times well hidden but all too present underdeveloped self esteem.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 01:41

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's really great. Sounds like you have come a long way! I'm glad that it was such a positive experience for you. It's good to be proud of yourself and to let others be proud of you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:57
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

That is so cool! I just got back from a conference where I haven't seen several people in a year or more-30 pounds less of me was definately noticed.

Makes you really motivated to keep going! I just hope I never get complacent.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Your story makes me smile. It's not the fact that you received compliments that makes me happy, but how WELL your received them. Sounds like your self-confidence is way up and that makes me feel good for you. I think most of us will always have body issues, but getting over them one step at a time feels so great. I hope you continue to accept that you are beautiful!

P.S. I giggled at this title. So cute.

Last edited by Skamito : Mon, Apr-28-03 at 09:12.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:22
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Go Puggy! Go Puggy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Sugarbusters!
Stats: 223/209/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

That is so great! Congratulations!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%
Smile You go gurl!

I am so glad for you. I know that was the best feeling. Can't wait to get there with you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:00

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Talking great inspiration!

wouldn't you have loved to have photos of some of those reactions!

Jan
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:31

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Great job! Great post!

What an inspirational post! I'm so happy for you. I especially liked the way you're learning to take compliments. I know exactly what you mean. I do the same thing, joking and making light of compliments. It's tough to just stand there and say 'thank you'

Congratulations on Bethy emerging from Puggy!

Amy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 22:21
Registered Member

Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks for your kind comments, guys.

It was a hoot watching folk's facial expressions change when they got a look at my new shape. I am a bit of a (harmless) practical joker and it still makes me chuckle to think about it.
It was also amazing how much "lighter" my atittude and mood was since my last visit. I like myself so much more after having knocked down my self constructed barrier wall of snack chip and doughnut residue.

I have also been on the other side in a situation like this, my former assistant moved out of the country for a few years and came back over 100 pounds lighter and with dreadlocks. When I picked her up at the airport, I screamed with shock when I saw her. She looked very different but happy and great, we had a wonderful laugh.

For my next trip out in August, I hope to be smaller still and I think I will paint a henna tattoo on my cheek ala Mike Tyson and rememebr my camera.

Cheers
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:46
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

A henna tattoo on your face!!!!!!! (that WAS the cheek you were referring to, wasn't it?)