Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/169/138 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:50+/33/28
Progress: 54%
Default tips for 53 year old with joint pain?

After nine months on Atkins and 35 pounds gone, I've been working my way back to exercise, not yet successfully. I'm 53, and have chronic pain in my knees, one hip, elbows, and heels. Atkins helped all that enormously, though the knee pain never goes away completely. Instead of detailing all the things I've tried and which ones work better and less well, what I'd like is to know if anyone knows of a thread that addresses BFL adaptation for someone who may need to ease into it. The bursitis thread helped a bit, for example.

I have looked around quite a bit since I discovered the BFL information yesterday, but I have not succeeded in finding this particular kind of information related to age and joint pain. I ordered the book today, after finding that all the copies in our public library are checked out, so it will still be several days before I can find out what the main authority suggests. I'm interested in using these days to continue to get ready to undertake something that will work for strength, stamina, firming, and further slimming. Any suggestions for good threads or good resources online? I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:24

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile

Hello, you're not the only one!!
There are alot of us out here trying to get fit and we're not the 20 something spandex crowd. Where did you say there was a thread on bursitis? If anything has an "itis " at the end, it circles the globe and finds me.
Elaine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 23:06

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: tips for 53 year old with joint pain?

Quote:
Originally posted by rrwriter
I'm 53, and have chronic pain in my knees, one hip, elbows, and heels. the knee pain never goes away completely. Any suggestions for good threads or good resources online?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but have you ever tried or considered trying Glucosamine/MSM? Relief could be as quick as 3 days!!! I am currently using the NOW brand http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?a...il&item_id=3156 and have also had great sucess with Source Naturals http://www.sourcenaturals.com/main/...E6689A3DEEE7801
although there are MANY brands to chose from.
My 18 year old dog is on the NOW brand Glucosamine/Chondroitin blend (although I will probably switch to the blend I am taking) and shows NO signs of joint discomfort. Still gets around like an adolescent!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 05:15
Registered Member

Elaine and Zone Coach -- thanks for your replies.

Elaine, check out this thread on bursitis:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=99183

Zone Coach: I took Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM for years, Source Natural, and it helped. Once I had been eating low carb for a few weeks I was able to stop without the dull nagging pains returning. I had forgotten about it as something that might help in the current situation, so thank you very much.

Actually I have discovered by trial and error that the night time pain in knees and hip have disappeared again once I stopped taking the calcium carbonate supplement I added in a month or so ago. It seems I keep learning some of the same lessons over and over, but calcium powders of many kinds (this was calcium carbonate) that don't absorb fully seem to gravitate toward inflamed tissue and (as I understand it) form little crystals, which is not good in soft tissue.

I have been trying a light version of BFL's exercise plan this week, to see how it might work, just sort of practicing, and I started taking L-Glutamine. So far no problems, though this will only be the fourth day. I'm headed out right now for my AM cardio workout. I really like BFL so far though it will be a long time before I can do some of what is prescribed.

Thank you both!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 08:46

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi

I too have joint problems...At the present time I'm doing only water aerobics and exercise with weights....I'm trying to find info on exercises that could be used in the pool.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 09:44
Registered Member

I can't help with the water exercises, Summer rai, but I can report that I'm starting the fifth week of Body for Life and I love love love it. I eased in at first, intent on doing no injury. I cannot do some of the leg work (lunges and squats) because of pain, but my Y has great machines that work the quads and hamstrings, and they seem to be working. I believe I am experiencing a bit of pain relief as muscles build, and I know I'm feeling stronger and more confident. Seeing some muscles peeking out, too, that I'd forgotten about. It's amazing how fast even my 53 year old body is willing to build muscle and increase strength in this program! The thing that makes it click for me is the intensity (not difficulty, intensity) and the pyramid of interval training -- seems to induce an "exercise high" early and sustain it throughout. It's fun!