Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 12:43

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 172/172/132
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile new to this site and have questions

Hi everyone,
I just started the Arkins diet 2 days ago and was wondering if it's a good diet for me, since I run 2 miles every morning? And is it really healthy? How could all that cholesterol, due to high fat diet be good for anyone? Any advice? thanksphotog
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/130/115
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile Hello,

The first thing I would do is to read Dr. Atkins book New Diet Revolution. Part one of the book, really answers alot of questions you may have. Also there is alot of Wonderful people on this site that have answers to any questions you may have. I have been a member now for a couple of months and lost weight and had alot of support. Also get a support buddy...
Have a Great Day!! and Good Luck!!
Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:07

Stats: 230/176/180
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hey

Don't worry about the energy while running. As soon as your body is used to burning fat instead of carbs......your runs will be great!!!!

I have done 2 half marathons since I have started Atkins on 9/9/02. I had nothing but water during and had plenty of energy for sprinting at the end.

Good Luck
Mike

http://hometown.aol.com/mrabinow/myhomepage/index.html
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:12
Registered Member

Stats: 183/178/140
BF:
Progress: 12%
Smile My Limited Epxerience

Hi Photog,

I am a newbie as well and this is day 8 of Induction for me.

The prescribed eating in this diet seemingly goes against everything I thought was good eating. I read Dr. Atkins book (a must read) and he made a really good case and the book was very interesting. Then I stumbled onto this site and read about the results people were having. But, I have to say that that thing the sold me on LC was the way I feel only after 8 days!

I feel great! Less moody. Appetite has shrunk. Never feel bloated. Excited to continue LCing.

WRT running - I was concerned that I would not have any energy for running myself. To be honest, over the first 4-5 days I did not have the energy to run. I guess it was an adjustment period. I feel fine now though. Also, I have received advice from people on the forum that energy levels will improve after we leave Induction.

Give yourself a week on Induction and judge for yourself.

Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: akins
Stats: 187/183/145
BF:???
Progress: 10%

WELCOME! I ALSO AM NEW, THIS IS EVERYTHING BACKWARDS, BUT ON DAY 3 I FEEL GREAT! 3 LBS LESS AND SO MANY NICE PEOPLE HERE TO HELP EVEN MY DUMB QUESTIONS, I AM THANKFULL FOR THE SUPPORT I GET HERE, READ THROUGH LOTS AND YOU WILL FEEL MORE AT EASE. GOOD LUCK
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 21:34

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default My high fat high protein WOE

I had blood work done in February and my levels were perfect, all of them. There are scientific reasons for this contradicting method but I think of it this way. Over carbing is the stuff that glues fats and cholesterol to the ateries. I know DA explains that high carbohydrates changes the normal composition of fats and cholesterol that causes it to stick to the arteries. Or, by burning carbs, your body will store fats and cholesterol. When there is less carbs to burn, the body will burn the other fuel, fats. Therefore carbs stabilizes fats, allowing them to make themselves at home.

Black57
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 00:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

you feel horrible at first and then all of a sudden you get a boost of energy. This is my second time on Atkin's.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 04:59
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You might want to check out the General Exercise area and see what people who run have to say. I know there are several runners around here.

I do know that the first week or so my workouts were awful as my body switched to fat burning-but after that they really picked up. I started being able to up my weights quickly and the added protein allowed for me to buld muscle faster.