Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: Started as a 'normal' diet. Now on Atkins. Check my sig.
Stats: 315/215/180
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default 10x or 12x calories!?

I heard someone say that on induction you should be eating 10x or even 12x your weight in calories!

At 10x my weight that'd be 2,150 calories a day. And at 12 it'd be 2,580

I know you aren't susposed to worry about calories on induction, but isn't that getting a bit carried away..?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 20:31
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Someone wrote the Atkins center and they responded with 10-12 times your goal weight. This is still a source of debate here on the forum.

I think many people talk about the 10-12x rule for people who undereat. Many people come into low carb with a low calorie/low fat mentality. One of the good things about lcing is that it encourages you to eat. Eating is necessary. When you try and subsist on 800-900 calories a day, you might be damaging your system. When we see posts like that, someone will usually bring up the 10-12x guideline. I actually eat between 1100-1400 calories a day, sometimes as many as 1600.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 20:39
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think the important thing is to eat when you are hungry, stop eating when you are full, and eat at least every six hours when awake even if you are not hungry. Try that for a while and see if it works. If it doesn't, then worry about counting calories. For those of us with serious weight problems who have been counting calories for years, learning to listen to our bodies rather than calculate a number is a challenge, but I think it is an important challenge if we are going to keep the weight off.

Given that you lost a lot of muscle doing lowfat, lowcal dieting, I would rely on the tape measure rather than the scale to see if it is working. If you are losing fat and putting on muscle, the scale may stay the same but your measurements should shrink. Make sure you eat plenty of protein so that you can build up muscle.

Last edited by liz175 : Mon, Apr-21-03 at 20:40.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 22:34

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Hey robzero,

In my opinon, 2580 is absolutely NOT an enormous amount of calories for someone who is 6 ft tall, male? As you lose, your caloric needs go down.

Do you keep track of calories in www.fitday.com?

It is said that people tend to underestimate their caloric intake by 800 calories per day... you might enter an "average" day and see what you come up with.

Best,
Jinx
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 11:19

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally posted by MsJinx

As you lose, your caloric needs go down.

It is said that people tend to underestimate their caloric intake by 800 calories per day... you might enter an "average" day and see what you come up with.

Best,
Jinx [/B]

Yes, do I ever agree with both of these. It is soooo easy to underestimate your calories.

And maybe when people are having stalls, they need to readjust their caloric intake, seeing as these stalls came after a loss, and their new caloric needs need to be accounted for. At 1500-1600 calories a day, I lost a lot faster I was 150+ than I am right now. (Even with exercise)