Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/215/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Emotional Eatting

My two year old is serously going through the terrible twos and my DH is traveling alot. Having some trust issues there right now and due to circumstances beyond our control we can't talk about it. How am I dealing with it? Eatting foods I shouldn't and large amounts of it. I thought I got rid of all the junk in the house, but found the kids candy stash from the holidays. I'm not even enjoying the taste of the food, but eatting it anyway.Please lend a helping hand on the emotional eatting. I know the other issues are on me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:17

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

Oh boy, do I know exactly what you are going through! Relax, take a deep breath, and let's figure out some ways to deal with it. You know how diverting your toddler's attention can stop the tantrum? Try diverting your own attention - pack junior up in the stroller, get outside, and enjoy some fresh air. (Hopefully it's not arctic where you are...) Or get junior to try a exercise video with you (this can be hysterical). Keeping busy is the best way for me to get beyond emotional eating. Good luck! :-)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 08:35

Stats: 193/170/130 Female 61 inches
BF:BMI 32
Progress: 37%

Hey there girlfriend. Been there, done that and will probably do it some more. Emotional eating is one of the worse devils to overcome. It is very true that support is the only way to beat it. Whatever you do, get the candy out of the house. Trust me, your kids will live without the candy. Teach them to eat healthy.
Find a buddy (a relative, neighbor, somebody) to talk you through the hard times. The underlying problems you have will keep you eating anything that you can get your paws on that is comforting. Talk about it to someone. Heck, phone cards are pretty cheap nowadays.
Hope you get back on track and eating good stuff.
Lois
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 10:49

Stats: 144/136.5/119 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Here's a short list of things I try to do when I have the urge to commit binge-icide!

Dig out some old photo albums
Check your bank statement
Tidy out a cupboard
Make that phone call you've been putting off
Tidy your make-up drawer
Write & post a letter
Do a crossword puzzle
Give yourself a manicure or facial (you can't eat with wet nail polish!)
Play computer games?
Take a nice long bath with your favourite oils

But of course, the best course of action is to get out of the house if you can?

Hope this helps...I know how hard it can be!
Take care & good luck,
Z
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 12:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I re-read appropriate chapters in my increasingly-worn copy of Dr Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution. It helps put things in perspective.

I have to remind myself, out loud if necessary, that food isn't going to make the situation better, but make me feel worse. It isn't a companion, a counsellor, a friend... just food.

Taking ANY step, no matter how shaky and small can do wonders to make the stress less overwhelming. For example, I have a mountain of medical bills and my son's having MORE surgery soon..the collectors have me on speed-dial! Anyway, instead of ducking them all, I called up and made a payment plan with the biggest one. Did it solve my whole problem? No. But you know what? Taking a small bite out of the problem kept me from going to the pantry and trying to take bites out of everything in there!!! Just one small bit of control in the issue gave me a bigger sense of control overall. It's hard to describe.

Sorry to ramble, but finding a small step can lead to another...and before you know it, you won't feel buried.