Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:27
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%
Question What excuse have you heard to not low carb?

Ok, I know MANY of us have been asked "how'd you lose so much weight?" Well, when we tell them LC, they immediately come up with an excuse as to why it just wouldn't work for them. This is my favorite so far (this week)
"Oh, no, I could never eat LC, I'm Southern." I kid you not! I told the lady I was Southern too, so what? She explained that Southern people just couldn't do LC. I just thought that was priceless.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 19:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

lol... good idea for a thread!

The most confusing one I've heard was just today. A grown woman of 50 years of age, said she won't do it until her nieces tell her to..and THEY weigh 300 pounds each, mind you! But they're pharmacists..if that makes it better. Meanwhile, her sister, a NURSE tells her its good..We hear what we want, I guess...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 19:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I had an opposite experience, was talking with a lovely, very, very slim lady in the natural foods store who asked about some of my low carb purchases. She was asking if she should try the Atkins diet so she could use a few pounds, even though she was vegatarian. I was dumstruck, first off if this woman lost 10 more pounds she would blow away and even though I've read about vegans being on Atkins I don't image it's very easy for them. I just wished her luck with whatever eating plan she decided on, sucess was based on finding something that you can live with day to day not a quick fix.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 21:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The whole kidney exploding one is amusing, or "The human body was not ment to live off only protien" Or best yet "I couldn't because I'm a diabetic"

What is better though are the excuses I hear alot from LC's who cheat frequently (this isn't aimed at anyone in particular)
"I lost x amount of pounds and wanted to celebrate" (usually upset they put on a couple after)
"I havn't been losing fast enough"
"My freinds/family/whatever told me it wouldn't hurt me"
"it was a holiday" (somewhere in the world at least)
"I NEEDED it"
"I'm not losing weight and upset by it, but I refuse to give up x, y, z"
"But my skinny friend eats it all the time"
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 22:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I particularly like a neighbor of mine who won't do Atkins because it's "too hard and dangerous"...but after spending big bucks on Herbalife, Metabolife, hypnosis (for diet AND to stop smoking) has decided to go back to smoking and eating M&M's for lunch because it "works better"...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 23:18

Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I particularly like a neighbor of mine who won't do Atkins because it's "too hard and dangerous"...but after spending big bucks on Herbalife, Metabolife, hypnosis (for diet AND to stop smoking) has decided to go back to smoking and eating M&M's for lunch because it "works better"...

Man, I wish I could eat M&M's for lunch and have it work. =)

Sure am enjoying this 'diet' ... 5 lbs for me, 11 for hubby, 6 for my son, an almost 5 year old daughter who isnt totally hyper anymore, and Im not starving. Cant wait til my broken toe heals so I can start walking again =)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 23:28

Stats: 265/256/174 Female 67 in
BF:53%/51%/27%
Progress: 10%

LOL

One of my sisters can't remember what has carbs & what doesn't. She has a couple of slices of bread only a few times a week
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 00:26

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%

My favorite response was " Well, everything has carbs in it, so it is too confusing for me to do it."

Another one is "Well, I'm Italian, Irish, German,...... so I can't do it.

Roxie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 04:58

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
What is better though are the excuses I hear alot from LC's who cheat frequently (this isn't aimed at anyone in particular)
"I lost x amount of pounds and wanted to celebrate" (usually upset they put on a couple after)
"I havn't been losing fast enough"
"My freinds/family/whatever told me it wouldn't hurt me"
"it was a holiday" (somewhere in the world at least)
"I NEEDED it"
"I'm not losing weight and upset by it, but I refuse to give up x, y, z"
"But my skinny friend eats it all the time"

Amen!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 05:28

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

The excuses I get tired of are "You can't eat fruit on that diet.". People are so programmed into the fact that fruit is supposidility "good for them" that any diet which says "no fruit" seems rediculous. The funny thing is though, almost all the people who have said that to me... i've never seen any of them ever eat a damn piece of fruit!!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 05:55

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I keep hearing people say it's a fad diet and you'll put the pounds back on when you go off it. Well for a fad diet that's been around for 30+ years, that's not too bad. And are there ANY diets around that keep working for you once you go back to your old way of eating?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 06:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I get the fruit thing all the time too. Makes me laugh. Anther is "I cant live without my pasta"
But the one that gets me the most is "I cant live without vegies" Then you tell them that they can eat tons of vegies and they say "What about pototoes?"
UUURGH!!!!!!! Never mind these same people are comming up to me asking if I am loosing and telling me my clothes are to big
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 06:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I also get the fruit one all the time, and I love the one that goes something like this "well I already had cereal/oatmeal/chocolate cake or whatever for breakfast, but I am going to start tomorrow, Monday, after the next big party or some other day in the future. It is so amazing how so many people, and to a large extent I include myself in this, have our social life so wrapped around eating events it is truly scary to start to think about changing that. And it is hard to go to various events and not eat the junk you have done for the past how ever many years, but it is harder on our bodies to not do something to make the weight go away!!

Good luck to us all,
Susan
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 06:48

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

Always always always "I just can't give up my pasta and potatoes."

The poor afflicted, addicted things.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:18

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

Great thread topic!

I used to totally be one of the "I can't give up X, Y and Z!" type of people when I first heard about Atkins. There was no way I could give up my precious cokes, ice cream and fries. But once I saw the results that could be had, I took the plunge and I've never looked back.