Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 115/113/105
BF:?%/23%/18%
Progress: 20%
Question newbie needs help - CKD vs TKD ???

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of previous threads or ANY information regarding TKD? I found tons of info on the CKD and want to compare the 2 plans to see which would benefit my lifestyle better. I am very active - run 5 days per week. When on Atkins, I can barely WALK, let alone RUN so I'm thinking of trying one of the two plans.

If anyone can explain TKD to me I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank U!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Good link

Look at this link for some further info (read the top part for this subject):

http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=88
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 08:54

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, May-14-03 at 16:16.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

TKD is a CKD with no carb-up on the weekends. (Low carb 7 days a week.) Prior to workouts, and after workouts (optional) you consume carbs, about 25-50 g (depending on the length and intensity of your workout). If I'm lifting weights, I take in carbs prior, during (about 30 min. in), and after - about 20-25g. Cardio I tend not to take carbs before or after, unless it's high intensity (75-85% MHR), then it's 25g before. If you're doing heavy running, I'd take some carbs before, because otherwise you're going to smoke out pretty quick, but not after.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 05:29

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

TKD is the way to go if you do high-intensity or endurance cardio... I'm currently cycling mucho miles in the weekend..
IMPOSSIBLE without carbs, and fatty foods interfere with digestion during endurance events.

However, if I eat carbs without exercise, I get into a kind of sugar coma...

So... TKD for heavy-duty cardio people and prob also for heavy-duty lifters or those who can't make themselves do a strenuous depletion workout on Friday = A MUST IF YOU DO A CKD!

Frankly, I think that a CKD-version is only for those who have the disciplin to not eat carbs in the week, do a good depletion WO and then pig out in the weekend. Biggest plus of weekend-carbloading is that you can be a 'social animal' again.

Better to have one cheat meal a week with friends....

Fietser Ivana, who puts on weight when she starts carb-loading.. all the carbs end up as fat, not as glycogen!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

I think more discipline is required for a TKD, actually. On a CKD, you have 2 days of carb up every week - which you can do disciplined (by going high GI, then low GI and adhering to precise protein/carb ratios) or, as many do, undisciplined (i.e. eat everything in sight until you start feeling the bloat). On a TKD, you don't eat carbs except for prior, during, or immediately after a workout, and then it's such a minor amount (25-75g) and selected from a narrow source (dextrose or glucose). Think about it: even if you work out 6 days a week on a TKD, your weekly carb intake will only be 450g - my first day of carb-up on a CKD would be somewhere between 700-900g!!

The biggest advantage to a TKD (and someone else said this, I can't claim it as my own bit of wisdom) is that on a TKD, you work the diet around your workouts. On a CKD, you really have to arrange your workouts around the diet.