Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327/292/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Does addiction run in your family?

I have noticed something in reading post's here. I have noticed a lot of people who say they either have a parent/parents or family memebers with addiction problems...alcohol/drugs etc. I am wondering how many of us with "food" problems be it either carb addiction, overeating etc. have a family member who has an addiction of another kind because I am thinking that maybe genetically there is a connection...we just chose food as our drug of choice instead of alcohol etc. I personally have a brother who has been an alcoholic/drug addict since he was 13 ( he's 45 and still abusing) and I come from a long line of alcoholics, thankfully my own mother escaped this fate and my father doesnt abuse anything either. I suppose some could argue that the connection is mental and not genetic. So what do you think, could there be a genetic connectionn or is it a mental health issue or am I just crazy, weigh in and let me know what you think??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:06

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Hi Myturn! Interesting topic! I didn't come from a family with addiction problems, although my family has a history with depression and I went through some very tough times with my Mom in my 20's that I think lead to my issue. I am not sure I am that introspective, but I would guess that food for me became the one thing that I felt like I could control and was a comfort to me. After I made it through the rough time, it had become a routine, and a social/fun thing, and I believe I developed a serious sugar addiction. It is amazing though that a week on Atkins can teach you that you don't need to eat like that, you can still enjoy life without it, and the cravings have poofed! Interested in hearing the responses on this - good thread =)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:17

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

great question! my father is an alcoholic, my mother is a gambler, and my sister is a shop-a-holic. im not sure if i think it is genetic or product of environment, tho. quite interested to hear what others have to say....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 18:07
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I'm like LoriLoCarb!

No addictions in my family, but serious depression and lots of suicides.

As a side note, I've never felt that I had an addictive relationship to carbs, or food in general, for that matter. I believe I was genetically pre-disposed to obesity and a combination of strict dieting in my childhood and types of food I was eating led to my high weight.

Not that I'm not taking responsibility for my fat - the only person who created 335 pounds of Monika was me.

I know people who genuinely have an addictive response to simple carbs - I'm sorry that this WOE must be 100 x more difficult to follow if that's an issue. I think I'm one of the lucky few Syndrome X people who only miss, not crave carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 18:24

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I'm a recovering alcoholic, been sober for over 11 years now. Weighed around 140 - 160 all my life, started putting on the pounds around 6 years ago. I am sure that I switched one addiction for another.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 18:50

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi,

No addiction in my family although along with many others, suicides and bipolar disorder runs though it. Marty
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:16

Stats: 203/197.0/160 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Who/knows/or cares
Progress: 14%

I've heard that addictions can be genetic. Some people are more predisposed to them than others but I'm sure enviromental factors come into play also.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 19:18
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

drug adiction, alcoholism, depression, & mental disorders all run in my family... and that is just in my dad
My mom did her share of drugs and stuff when I was little but she has been clean for a good 17 years I don't think she has any addictions really now though some spots of depression I can recall
I don't know anyone else in my family they all died when I was to young to remember them
I luckily saw enough drugs, drinking and smoking to last me a lifetime without doing any of them! but I do have an obsessive/adictive personality...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 16:02

Stats: 222/185/120 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I also believe addicted personalities run in families. Addiction runs in my family, mostly alcoholism and drug addiction, I was fortunate to escape those but I'm quite sure that I'm a sugar addict and as long as I keep that in check, I'm a happy camper.

Tami
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 18:40

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I also have alcoholism, major depression, suicide & bipolar disorder in my family tree. Also, my eating didn't really get out of control until I stopped drugs, alcohol & smoking.