Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:41
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Talking Help for Holiday goodies pushed at you..

http://www.drphil.com/weightloss/images/cards.pdf

Some help for those facing pushy relatives....print, cut out, and brandish when threatened with pie!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've also found that a polite but firm, "No, thank you, I don't care for any right now." usually works pretty well. If someone is pushy enough to keep hounding you after that, bring on the signs...and maybe give them one as well that reads: "Warning: I can't take no for an answer. Run while you still have the chance!"
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:50

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My company party was this weekend and I was one of those reponsible for a dessert. Soooo, I made a wonderful cheesecake that received alot of praise and it was low carb, made with Splenda. It was nice that there was some dessert that I could indulge in.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 16:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

How about the goodies mailed to you?

They all know we are on a low carb diet and they also know that DH has Diabetes and they send us candy with all the sugar? Maybe they just aren't thinking.....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 17:58

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

When offered goodies at the office and at the company Christmas party I just very politely explained that I don't do sugar these days and then thanked them for offering. The gift box of candy I received went into the common area immediately with a note for everyone to help themselves.

shortstuff
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:36

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

My boss just handed out homemade cookies to all of us at our weekly meeting. She apologized when she gave me mine since she knows I eat LC. I'm thrilled with the cookies. I need to bake at home and this way I can start with LC cookies so I have something to nibble on when I make the carb cookies and still have cookies for the kids to nibble on when I'm baking my cookies! I use walnut flour for my LC cookies and though the cookies are wonderful, the flour is just too expensive to use to feed carb eaters. (DH also went to a wonderful candy store and bought a box of SF candy just for us. The kids get to share a box of Whitmans.)

As long as you can resist the sugar treats (I have no problem but DH does), they are good to have around to feed guests. My 23 year old is coming home and when his friends are over several dozen cookies can disappear in a very short time. I'd have to take a loan out to fill these guys up with my cookies (over $4 a pound for the flour - ouch!)

Shoprite carries the Carb Counter milk now so I'm looking forward to having my milk and cookies tomorrow night while waiting for Santa.

HO, HO, HO!
Barb
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 12:11

Stats: 215/150/?? Male 5' 11
BF:25%/17%/<10%
Progress:

fitznoski,

I have discovered that the holidays is the perfect time to stock up on large bags of nuts you usually don't see in the stores the rest of the year, almonds, walnuts,pecans, etc. After getting sick of paying $7.89 for 1 pound bags of almond flour at the health food store I decided to start making it myself. I bought a 2 pound bag of sliced almonds at Albertsons for a couple of bucks and just threw them into the food processor for a few minutes. Wah lah, almond flour. Now I am stocking up on the bags of almonds and freezing them to use throughout the year.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 14:22

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Excellent idea, chef! I'm going to try that with my little food processor...the irony is, I'm too busy during the holidays to do any baking. I'm hoping AFTER I can give it a low carb try.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 15:25
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I've found that I can grind the small quantities I need for a batch of cookies in my coffee grinder.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 16:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hilarious! I love how the first one is verbose, the second one less so, and the third one is straight to the point.

Mary, I used to see that all the time at the hospital where I worked. There was a dialysis unit and lots of diabetics. I couldn't believe all the chocolate and junk food some of them got. It goes to show that many people still think diabetes treatment means drugs, not diet change.