Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Help for Holiday goodies pushed at you.. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154971)

potatofree Sun, Dec-21-03 20:41

Help for Holiday goodies pushed at you..

http://www.drphil.com/weightloss/images/cards.pdf

Some help for those facing pushy relatives....print, cut out, and brandish when threatened with pie!

Lisa N Sun, Dec-21-03 20:51

I've also found that a polite but firm, "No, thank you, I don't care for any right now." usually works pretty well. If someone is pushy enough to keep hounding you after that, bring on the signs...and maybe give them one as well that reads: "Warning: I can't take no for an answer. Run while you still have the chance!" :lol:

black57 Mon, Dec-22-03 10:50

My company party was this weekend and I was one of those reponsible for a dessert. Soooo, I made a wonderful cheesecake that received alot of praise and it was low carb, made with Splenda. It was nice that there was some dessert that I could indulge in.

maryc Mon, Dec-22-03 16:12

How about the goodies mailed to you?

They all know we are on a low carb diet and they also know that DH has Diabetes and they send us candy with all the sugar? Maybe they just aren't thinking.....

shortstuff Mon, Dec-22-03 17:58

When offered goodies at the office and at the company Christmas party I just very politely explained that I don't do sugar these days and then thanked them for offering. The gift box of candy I received went into the common area immediately with a note for everyone to help themselves.

shortstuff

fitznoski Tue, Dec-23-03 11:36

My boss just handed out homemade cookies to all of us at our weekly meeting. She apologized when she gave me mine since she knows I eat LC. I'm thrilled with the cookies. I need to bake at home and this way I can start with LC cookies so I have something to nibble on when I make the carb cookies and still have cookies for the kids to nibble on when I'm baking my cookies! I use walnut flour for my LC cookies and though the cookies are wonderful, the flour is just too expensive to use to feed carb eaters. (DH also went to a wonderful candy store and bought a box of SF candy just for us. The kids get to share a box of Whitmans.)

As long as you can resist the sugar treats (I have no problem but DH does), they are good to have around to feed guests. My 23 year old is coming home and when his friends are over several dozen cookies can disappear in a very short time. I'd have to take a loan out to fill these guys up with my cookies (over $4 a pound for the flour - ouch!)

Shoprite carries the Carb Counter milk now so I'm looking forward to having my milk and cookies tomorrow night while waiting for Santa.

HO, HO, HO!
Barb

chef Tue, Dec-23-03 12:11

fitznoski,

I have discovered that the holidays is the perfect time to stock up on large bags of nuts you usually don't see in the stores the rest of the year, almonds, walnuts,pecans, etc. After getting sick of paying $7.89 for 1 pound bags of almond flour at the health food store I decided to start making it myself. I bought a 2 pound bag of sliced almonds at Albertsons for a couple of bucks and just threw them into the food processor for a few minutes. Wah lah, almond flour. Now I am stocking up on the bags of almonds and freezing them to use throughout the year.

adkpam Tue, Dec-23-03 14:22

Excellent idea, chef! I'm going to try that with my little food processor...the irony is, I'm too busy during the holidays to do any baking. I'm hoping AFTER I can give it a low carb try.

potatofree Tue, Dec-23-03 15:25

I've found that I can grind the small quantities I need for a batch of cookies in my coffee grinder.

Kristine Tue, Dec-23-03 16:32

:lol: Hilarious! I love how the first one is verbose, the second one less so, and the third one is straight to the point. :lol:

Mary, I used to see that all the time at the hospital where I worked. There was a dialysis unit and lots of diabetics. I couldn't believe all the chocolate and junk food some of them got. It goes to show that many people still think diabetes treatment means drugs, not diet change.