Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 19:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 524/524/325 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default new tastes maybe not a good thing

I went through a longer induction style phase, and after about 2 month started to check into other things. I found some of the sugar free candy both chocolate and hard types. I was never a big candy/sweets person more of a pretzel/potato or corn chip kinda guy. So when I tried some of the sugar free candy the taste was so different and welcome that I found my self eating the 4 or 5 piece servings (not all at once but throughout the day) more often than I should. This time of the year also makes it more difficult as this is the time when I probably would consume more sweets over the holidays than I ate the rest of the year.

I realized that maybe this new taste might not be a great thing after all, but it is so easy to fall into this trap as I have went from a wide variety of tastes to the more limited Atkins type tastes. Fortunatly I have figured this out before it got way out of control.

I'm not sure if I am asking a question or giving my opinion but I hope that if someone else out there is going down this path they get a chance to read this before they get to far.

dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 00:37
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Dave,

I really like the SF chocolate. (What can I say? I'm a woman at the "personal days at the beach" time.) And this is a tough time of year. I figure that if I need to indulge, I'd much rather indulge this way than go beserk with the full sugar stuff!

Jude
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 06:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

I've always been a choc-a-holic and I take comfort in the fact that there are terrific tasting treats for us low-carbers. I am very careful, though, not to have too many SF candies laying around my house at any one time since the temptation is too great. I've also learned that some of the candies have a horrible laxative effect if I eat more than a single serving at a time and that has taught me a lesson in self-control in itself
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 07:20
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Dave, I think everyone is different and each of us needs to find that level of comfort as an individual. My observation on this forum is that females tend to like that type of food more than the guys, not all of them, but most.

I avoid the sugar free stuff because it's too much like the real thing. As part of my long term weight loss and maintenance solution, candy in any form will not be a part of my food choices.

Besides, I lose weight like a turtle with a limp so eating that stuff would REALLY slow me down. But that's just me, others seem to have no problem at all with eating that kind of stuff.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 08:32

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

This is EXACTLY why I can't allow myself to get mixed up with any type of LC product.

"Hi my name is Barry and I'm addicted to carbs and FOOD."

I truly had not only a carbs addiction but a complete and total addiction to anything having to do with junk-food. If I start on the sugar-free wagon, I may permanently jump ship, which will lead to harder substances.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 08:53
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I went thru close to 3 months "clean" ...meaning without SF products. Then a dear friend brought me in some Carbolite bars and some Russell Stovers chocolate covered mints. That was the end of July.

From then on I ate them often...sometimes every day. Not many...but some! My wife would buy a pack of RS SF mints, a pack of RS SF toffee thingies every week. They were gone by the next week. And I was the only one eating them.

Sooo.....I stayed legal for my food program but ate terribly! And now I am on this 21 Days of Christmas purge to clean my system. Then I will try better to moderate my use of SF things.

Had I never tasted one...i would have never wanted one!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 09:25

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

No matter what, it all depends on the person. I find myself craving SF treats all the time. I've really cut out eating the sugar free chocolates, however, in my desk you will find the LifeSaver SF Cream Savers in chocolate and carmel flavor. I use these when everyone at work is eating something that I can't.

The SF products effect everyone differantly. If you start using them and notice that you are still loosing at the same rate, then keep on eating them. If they don't effect you there is no problem. However, if you notice a stall, try cutting them out for a week and see if that helps!

Best of luck to you!